AVS Forum banner

8041 - 8060 of 8183 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Throwing this out there for the locals (Iowa) to have first dibs.

JVC DLA-RS520 ~500 hours - $2600

Marantz AV7702 (NOT MKII) - $600 Will pass-through non-HDCP 4K content but HDCP2.2 stuff requires a MKII or newer.

HDFury Vertex 4K - $250 includes the BT dongle. Vertex 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI GoBlue | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI

Nothing wrong with any of them. Just got some tremendous deals on a couple of upgrades.

I am willing to deliver up to 1.5 hours from the DSM area or meet up that far away as well.
So what projector did you get?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reactions: ZLTFUL and nickbuol

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Soooo... I just won an 18" Marty Cube (roundover) flat pack from GSG tonight on a live stream. Not sure if I have space for it though. I mean, I still have two 12" subs that aren't in use that got replaced with my recent 2 full Marty builds. Prize was "just" the flat pack... no driver or amp. (I'm appreciative, so don't read it like I am not, just stating what it is...) Hmmm... Trying to scrape together funds for a possible projector upgrade right now, so I am not sure that I have the ability to fork out for an 18" driver, amp, etc. I do have some SpeakOn connections and cables, and black Duratex, but even if just running something like a Behringer NX3000D, that is $400, Dayton UM18-22 driver is another $300 right now. Anyone interested in the flatpack?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Just heard that the new Anthem product line has been delayed. Now looking like mid-January for the MRX 1140 that I've asked Kent from Hawkeye to put my name on. Still without any audio device with the sale of my Anthem MRX-1120 back towards the end of October. I guess I can take my time getting my equipment "rack" re-worked now. Going from static shelves to pull out shelves. More time to tinker I guess.

A friend elsewhere told me to buy a nice AVR from Amazon and then return it in January. I'm not that type of person, but I am missing the theater room.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Anybody following this thread own a JVC NX-9? If so, what projector did you come from? I keep putting off an upgrade but the sweetheart of deals on the NX-9 right now make me think I shouldn't put off the upgrade much longer.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the actual size of the NX-9, the performance increase from whatever you changed from and your throw distance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
No NX-9s that I am aware of but at least 4 NX-7s just in central Iowa...

Sorry, not much help.
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to first ask here instead of the big JVC thread. Perhaps I'll just have the take the plunge. My biggest concerns are the actual size of the unit and construct compared to something like the 790. The NX-9 slightly bigger than it's little brothers (NX-5 and 7) and those are already a sizable difference compared to my 790. I may have to adjust my mounting point... which could impact my throw distance... possible screen size... so on and so forth. But again, for the great prices it's difficult to not think about the upgrade regardless of the changes I may have to make.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to first ask here instead of the big JVC thread. Perhaps I'll just have the take the plunge. My biggest concerns are the actual size of the unit and construct compared to something like the 790. The NX-9 slightly bigger than it's little brothers (NX-5 and 7) and those are already a sizable difference compared to my 790. I may have to adjust my mounting point... which could impact my throw distance... possible screen size... so on and so forth. But again, for the great prices it's difficult to not think about the upgrade regardless of the changes I may have to make.
I would call @chriscmore. I can’t remember if he is running the 7 or the 9, but he has undoubtedly seen both and will easily be able to speak to throw distances etc.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Unrelated to the projector discussion, but the GSG Marty Cube flat pack that I won last Tuesday just shipped. Should be here Friday. Still not sure what to do with it. The "real" me wants to build it and put it behind my 2nd row of seats, but the "practical" me says that I already have 2 other subs that aren't even in use in the theater, I already own them, and I don't need to spend time or money to use one or both of them. Might need to clean house a bit after Christmas...

I am also a couple of days away from my own projector upgrade to a double hand-me-down JVC RS520 from ZLTFUL meaning I need to prep my JVC RS45 for sale. I better find a place to store all of this gear. LOL

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Unrelated to the projector discussion, but the GSG Marty Cube flat pack that I won last Tuesday just shipped. Should be here Friday. Still not sure what to do with it. The "real" me wants to build it and put it behind my 2nd row of seats, but the "practical" me says that I already have 2 other subs that aren't even in use in the theater, I already own them, and I don't need to spend time or money to use one or both of them. Might need to clean house a bit after Christmas...

I am also a couple of days away from my own projector upgrade to a double hand-me-down JVC RS520 from ZLTFUL meaning I need to prep my JVC RS45 for sale. I better find a place to store all of this gear. LOL
The real me says I should grab it and put two subs on my up-stairs system =)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Anybody following this thread own a JVC NX-9? If so, what projector did you come from? I keep putting off an upgrade but the sweetheart of deals on the NX-9 right now make me think I shouldn't put off the upgrade much longer.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the actual size of the NX-9, the performance increase from whatever you changed from and your throw distance.

Thanks in advance.
Congrats on the potential NX9! That lens should be unreal!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Congrats on the potential NX9! That lens should be unreal!
Thanks, I just have to convince myself to pull the trigger. I had been eyeing the NX-7 but wasn't sold on it since I wanted my next projector to have a laser or LED light source. But the native 4K and improved HDR handling was appealing. But for not much more than the NX-7, being able to step up to the NX-9 and the increased contrast ratio over the NX-7... 8K e-shift potential... the optics... It's just difficult to pull the trigger when the projector costs more than my first $5000 theater build 13 years ago. I think the NX-9 could be the last projector I'd ever buy. Perhaps by the next time I need to upgrade from the NX-9 it will be an OLED that I unroll onto the wall. :)

I was able to get some input on the JVC thread about the measurements. I think I'll have to do some tweaks to my mounting location. What sucks is any change to the mounting location means a substantial project of changing a ceiling panel, etc.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Thanks, I just have to convince myself to pull the trigger. I had been eyeing the NX-7 but wasn't sold on it since I wanted my next projector to have a laser or LED light source. But the native 4K and improved HDR handling was appealing. But for not much more than the NX-7, being able to step up to the NX-9 and the increased contrast ratio over the NX-7... 8K e-shift potential... the optics... It's just difficult to pull the trigger when the projector costs more than my first $5000 theater build 13 years ago. I think the NX-9 could be the last projector I'd ever buy. Perhaps by the next time I need to upgrade from the NX-9 it will be an OLED that I unroll onto the wall. :)

I was able to get some input on the JVC thread about the measurements. I think I'll have to do some tweaks to my mounting location. What sucks is any change to the mounting location means a substantial project of changing a ceiling panel, etc.
The biggest difference between the 7 and 9 should be the lens. The e-shift feature seems to be controversial, but I'd certainly try it and see what you like. I used it on 1080 material on my RS520 just because it noticeably decreased aliasing. Though that's not much of an issue on 4K material, you may find similar benefits. I'm nothing but pleased with my NX7 and it was tough to pull the trigger on it having not seen one at the time. I think you will love it. I think this will definitely tide me over until laser hit a price/performance threshold I can afford.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I plan on sticking with my NX7 for a while as well. It truly is an awesome unit. A noticeable upgrade from the previous generations.

Reactions: theblackangus

·
Registered
640 Posts
Congrats! It’s still a good projector! Enjoy some 4K with HDR content!

Reactions: ZLTFUL and nickbuol

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
What was extra nice about picking it up today is that I got to see it projecting on to Seymour XD screen material (same as what I have) and that it was used with an NVIDIA Shield, which I also have that replaced my HTPC a year ago.

Now I am just waiting to get some time to unbox it and I might pull out an HDMI splitter and do some side-by-side tests for fun before I mount it on the ceiling and box up the RS45 for good. Might help to "sell" the upgrade to my wife if she can see the difference. LOL

8041 - 8060 of 8183 Posts