AVS Forum banner

IA Meet?

274K views 9K replies 173 participants last post by  Whiskey Alpha Deux 
#1 ·
Anybody up for an tour of Iowa home theaters?

Reactions: MillerTimeISU
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey alpha /forum/post/0

Anybody up for an tour of Iowa home theaters?

What part of Iowa. I'm from Fort Dodge, but I'm living in NY currently. Love to see a tour happen around Thanksgiving, which is when I'll be back in town.

#8 ·
I'm game. I haven't heard Klipschorns for years. My friend Chad would probably be interested, too if he's available. I'll email him to check the thread.

For everybody else here, a helpful tip: Our little Iowa AVS community is small enough and there's so little traffic in the thread... be sure to use the thread tools and subscribe to instant or daily email notifications so you don't have to remember to check the thread to see if there were any replies.

SC (Steve)

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads-up SC. Yeah, I'd be game for a Nov meet. I'll have to check the calendar and check with the wife, but I'm pretty sure I'm available.

#11 ·
We're good to go, my wife likes the idea and will join us. And yes, please do plan to bring spouses.

This is new for me and I'm not sure what a typical duration or format is. I guess I'm thinking a couple of hours? Enough time to meet each other and socialize a bit, take a good look at the setup, trade ideas, talk in general and watch/listen to some stuff? I'm just guessing though...please let me know if you have anything different or additional in mind.

Thanks, Jeff

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch /forum/post/11851450

I should see if I can get the wife to go back for the weekend. Kinda tricky...

Greg, youuuu can doooo eeeeettttt...

Jeff, a couple hours is probably about right for a small group. You could do an afternoon thing, so if anybody has any significant driving to do, they can drive back in the evening and not have to stay over (if they don't want to - Greg, for instance). Say, 2-4 or 2-5... Or, if nobody's driving, 7-9 or something might be fun, too. I'm just throwing out some ideas... It's your get-together, and you can do it however you like!

My only frame of reference is having been at two of Art Sonneborn's meets... which was pure insanity (in a good way). We're talking 50 or 60 people, multiple demo sessions, a huge supply of food/drink, and a get together that starts at 2pm and runs well into the wee hours. A little Iowa meet is a whole different thing, obviously.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

SC

#14 ·
I would agree... a couple-three hours might do it... and if you start in the afternoon you have some flexibility on length... and those with the long drive would be accommodated. Plus, there is an ISU men's bball game that night and the wife and I have season tix. ;o) A 2pm start would be fabulous for us.

I don't think there's a special formula for a successful meet... as long as everyone enjoys "geeking-out".

Reactions: MillerTimeISU
#15 ·
The 2:00-5:00 idea sounds good as a timeframe for planning, so lets call it that, give or take.

In terms of group size, the room has comfortable seating for 9, though can squeeze in a few more if need be (3 on the loveseat, using the riser, that kind of thing). I'll be a little surprised if we even get to 9, but if so we'll figure it out, rotate, whatever.

This should be fun! Looking forward to meeting y'all. Jeff (and Juli)

Oh, and thanks all for the input, appreciate it!!

#16 ·
No problem. I'm looking forward to an HT meet that doesn't require a trip to a different time zone and meeting some similarly afflicted people like myself right in my backyard.

I don't think 9 is unlikely at all! If you count yourself and your wife, that's already 6! If Greg can con his wife into it, that's 8.

I'll PM a Johnston guy who had a build thread last summer, too. I'm sure he'd be interested.

SC

#17 ·
Holy crap- I forgot I even started this thread. I'm just south of Mason City. About 1:45 north of Des Moines.

Thanks to Ecrabb for reminding me!

#18 ·
Please send me a PM if you're going to attend a meet at my home in Ankeny on Saturday November 10th. Please include your name & email address in the PM; I'll be sending details such as my address, directions, phone number, etc, via email only, around 11/3. Please let me know too if your spouse will be attending so we'll have an approximate headcount for refreshments, etc.

SC: yes I see what you're saying, we could get past 9 and I hope so! For your point exactly, an opportunity to meet new "similarly afflicted" friends. Gotta love it!

#19 ·
I live just North of Ankeny West of Alleman. I have a friend (also a co-workers) who lives in Gilbert. Several months ago I was lucky enough to listen to his system (B&W 600 series 7 channel setup w/ 12" Velodyne sub). I was absolutely blown away. Since then I have been reading TAS and other home theatres mags, reading reviews of A/V equipment online, forums, etc. My wife thought that I was crazy and just a phase (oh, so incorrect...). We auditioned the B&W 685 (A/V Logic) and Paradigm Studio 60s (Audio Labs) two weeks ago and she is quite excited by hi-fi. So this Thursday my wife and father-in-law and I are going to audition the 684, 603 S3, and CM1 at A/V Logic.

#21 ·
Yes, definitely still on for the 10th & looking forward to it! I'll get an email with more info sent out this week (or weekend at latest) to everyone that has sent me a PM with their email address.

This is in regard to a meet I'll be hosting at my home in Ankeny on Saturday the 10th from about 2pm to 5pm or whenever. Please send me a PM with your name & email address if interested in attending. Thanks!

#22 ·
Take plenty of pictures for those of us that can't make it

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch /forum/post/12137519

My wife scheduled to have the gas meter changed out on the 10th! Now she decides she has to work on the 10th!

Oh, come ON! Get your priorities straight, man! Tell the wife she can work OR get the meter changed out, but not both. She gets to pick which one.

Bummer - I was hoping to meet you. Not many of us CRT'ers around!

SC