AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I was hoping to get some general advice for and infinite baffle I'm thinking about. This is the general layout of my living room(apologies in advance if the illustration leaves something to be desired), and the black outline in front of the tv is where I had planned to install the IB.

http://floorplanner.com/projects/187...-first-project

The IB would be a manifold array, and I am planning on going with either one or two manifolds of 4 IB318's depending on what kind of output I can get from one. Can anyone give me a general idea of how much output can be had with a one of these? I had planned on picking up an fbq2496 for the eq but if someone has a better idea I'm all ears. I'm still reading through some of the threads for ideas on an amp, but it will obviously be influenced by how many drivers I use. Again if anyone has suggestions please don't hesitate to tell me. A friend that owes me a few favors has offered to build the box for since my carpentry skills lie somewhere between terrible and non-existent.

Are there any glaring problems I that I need to address or anything else I should be considering? Or does anyone have any general advice? If I need to supply more info please just say so. I would really appreciate any advice offered.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
First things first, have you started a thread at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled? If not that's a great place to get advice, etc on an IB sub. Unfortunately it doesn't get nearly the traffic that AVS does though...

Have you tested your proposed location by placing your current sub there and measuring at your LP's? If it's in the ceiling you can place your current sub at the seat and place the SPL meter at the spot on the ceiling for measurements. This is a very important step, once you build the IB it's not like you can just move it

4 x IB318's will give you pretty insane output. I'm running 4 x AE IB15's and am getting flat to 7hz at 115dB in my room which is plenty of output for now. The 18's should give you a bit more and doubling up to 8 will give you tons more headroom. If I were you I'd start with 4 and expand to 8 if you find it's not enough.

For power many use the Behringer EP2500 as it's great wattage for the money (that's what I'm running as well). For EQ either of the Behringer BFD units (DSP1124 or FBQ2496) will work fine, if you want more flexibility (although no integration with REW) the DEQ2496 will do everything the BFD units can and more. I just got around to playing with the one I picked up on eBay and can see that I'm definitely going to get some use out of the Dynamic EQ...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/17022772

First things first, have you started a thread at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled? If not that's a great place to get advice, etc on an IB sub. Unfortunately it doesn't get nearly the traffic that AVS does though...

I posted on the cult site. If not for that site and the guys contributing I never would have even warmed up to the idea of an IB.

Quote:

Have you tested your proposed location by placing your current sub there and measuring at your LP's? If it's in the ceiling you can place your current sub at the seat and place the SPL meter at the spot on the ceiling for measurements. This is a very important step, once you build the IB it's not like you can just move it

I haven't tested it so I guess that's something I need to do this evening or tomorrow night. What should I be looking for that would indicate there might be a problem?

Quote:

4 x IB318's will give you pretty insane output. I'm running 4 x AE IB15's and am getting flat to 7hz at 115dB in my room which is plenty of output for now. The 18's should give you a bit more and doubling up to 8 will give you tons more headroom. If I were you I'd start with 4 and expand to 8 if you find it's not enough.

115db @ 7hz?
Sounds phenomenal. Building one manifold and evaluating at that point does seem like the best idea.

Quote:

For power many use the Behringer EP2500 as it's great wattage for the money (that's what I'm running as well). For EQ either of the Behringer BFD units (DSP1124 or FBQ2496) will work fine, if you want more flexibility (although no integration with REW) the DEQ2496 will do everything the BFD units can and more. I just got around to playing with the one I picked up on eBay and can see that I'm definitely going to get some use out of the Dynamic EQ...

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/17023038

I posted on the cult site. If not for that site and the guys contributing I never would have even warmed up to the idea of an IB.

I haven't tested it so I guess that's something I need to do this evening or tomorrow night. What should I be looking for that would indicate there might be a problem?

115db @ 7hz?
Sounds phenomenal. Building one manifold and evaluating at that point does seem like the best idea.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it.

No problem, always glad to help out when I can. As far as testing you'll probably know if the location is going to be a problem. If there are several potential locations you'd be best off measuring each and comparing to see which has the most favorable FR curve. During my planning "stage" (all of a couple days...) I had 9 potential locations and I have three primary seating positions in my room. I measured each from each seat with my sealed sub at each of the 9 locations (27 total measurements) then compared each location and chose the one that gave me the "best" FR curve. What "best" is will depend on your priorities. In my case I ended up choosing a location that didn't have the flattest FR curve but was more consistent across all three seats (making EQ easier). If you have multiple options measure them all and post the results
To see what I did check out my thread at the Cult, on page 2:

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/in...ad=1410&page=2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts