AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the box have to be mounted in a ceiling, small enclosed area or basement space?

I ask because my original plan was to build a small room in the front of my HT. The screen would be mounted on this wall, and then I would mount the IBs on this wall, with them facing out toward the theater, mounted in the small room behind the screen.

Plans may be changing. I may no longer be building said room, and might just be building a frame for an AT screen, without actually enclosing the space behind it.

Could I just build a dual-opposed open-air box and still place it under the screen, without actually mounting the box anywhere? In other words, the subs would basically just be sitting out in the room (aesthetics aside). Would a setup like this be worse than mounting them in the small room, or is that still workable?

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
As long as it loads into the basement will be fine. There are several images on Google that show just that.

My subs are sealed and sit dead center below the mains, sounds fine and measures well. If you can, get a sub of some kind, hopefully sealed and play around with locations to integrate it better with the room..... Then cut a big hole in your floor :0)

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Without the backwave being isolated from the front you won't get the benefit of an IB. An IB is essentially a sealed sub, just the box is really big. Why not make a false cavity and seal it off?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Here's what I am picturing. You're going to have a big room with an AT screen/frame mounted somewhere in the middle of it, not up against the wall behind it. In that area you will have your LCR's, but you should also have room for subwoofer enclosures. And if this area was originally going to be big enough to be a complete room for IB purposes, this should be large enough you could fit large ported, sealed, or horn sub enclosures in it. So if you don't want to cut holes in your house, you may not have to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.