AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It would be like using a hammer to kill an ant.

I kinda remember that it just as loud on BOTH sides of the wall/divider so your attic would be Very Loud and possibly radiating bass outside your house, but I'm not completely sure about that. Maybe an IB user will chime in.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I have 8 Acoustic Elegance IB drivers mounted in floor. I've heard lots of sub systems and prefer mine for sound quality. The more powerful a system the less distortion when playing back music at at moderate levels.

My basement is open under the house, yet I don't get excessive bass in other rooms that are over the basement. The direct sound from the subwoofers is louder anyway.

Reactions: Bob7145

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome  /t/1519977/ib-subs-in-the-attic#post_24412575

I have 8 Acoustic Elegance IB drivers mounted in floor. I've heard lots of sub systems and prefer mine for sound quality. The more powerful a system the less distortion when playing back music at at moderate levels.

My basement is open under the house, yet I don't get excessive bass in other rooms that are over the basement. The direct sound from the subwoofers is louder anyway.

What size are your drivers?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wiz  /t/1519977/ib-subs-in-the-attic/0_100#post_24412814

Whoa!

So, you have two of those manifolds installed?
Yes, I have two manifolds with four 15" drivers in each manifold.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just received my UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum, so I can finally begin to scout my location for the first my manifolds.

From what ThomasW says, it would be best to put one manifold at the front wall and one at the back wall near the top of the vault.

When doing an attic crawl last weekend it does appear that these two locations will be the best place from an installation perspective.

The first step will be to put my current sub on the couch and measure response with UMIK-1 mic and REW.

Next will be to actually lift the current sub into the proposed location of a manifold and measure at listening position.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Next thing, is that based on other comments it might be better to go with 8x18" instead of 4x18".

I'm open to that even though it sounds insane to have 8x18" subs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145  /t/1519977/ib-subs-in-the-attic#post_24415492

this link should be useful for measuring difficult spaces like an attic or basement. You need to know the ratio of the volume on each side of the Baffle.

http://ibsubwoofer.blogspot.com/

Thanks. I've been combing over that site for a few weeks now. It's awesome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts