AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody on this forum have or know anything about the iBasso USB headphone amplifier http://www.ibasso.com/?

I want to get some kind of an external usb sound card to use with a mini laptop because I don't expect anything great out of the onboard sound on a mini laptop.

This thing might sound pretty good jacked into a HTR too.

The only place on the net where anyone is talking about the D2 is at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/ and I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't shown up on this forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a D1, which I use for my laptop sound card. It sounds amazing, just really good clean sound. I'd recommend it if your going to be doing a lot of listening on your laptop. I wouldn't recommend it for an htpc however because it only does 2 channel, as it is a headphone amp. Let me know if you need anymore info.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles8806 /forum/post/14325733

I have a D1, which I use for my laptop sound card. It sounds amazing, just really good clean sound. I'd recommend it if your going to be doing a lot of listening on your laptop. I wouldn't recommend it for an htpc however because it only does 2 channel, as it is a headphone amp. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thank you for recommending the D1. I just went ahead and ordered a D2 for 118 euros ($192).
My HTPC has a LM4562 OP amp modified X-Meridian which also sounds amazing so I should be able to give them both a pretty good A/B comparisson. My Zen M sounds pretty good when I plug it into my Girlfriend's vintgage JVC stereo and with Grado 60 headphones. I hope the D2 is better than the Zen when I get the new MSI wind laptop to go with it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recieved the iBAsso D2 Boa via DHL from Hong Kong yesterday 4 days after placing the order.

First impression is that this little box is beautifully made. It comes with a leather carrying bag and the finish is high quality green enamel. After plugging it into the USB port on my HTPC it immediately set up the I2S DAC interface and took over as the default sound device in Vista totally inactivating the X-Meridian sound card. The only way I could get back the X-Meridian to work again was by unplugging the iBasso and rebooting. This made doing the A/B comparison between the LM4562 modded XM and the iBasso more difficult than I imagined but I would say they are equal when listening over Grados 60s. It's hard to say but my guess is that this little DAC/Amp headphone amp is going to be on par with the LM4562 OP Amp modded XM and slightly better than the onboard sound from high end Dell XPS laptop and also better than my Zen Vision M. I'm going to need a lot more time to rank it properly. The 100 mWatt ampflifier certainly has more than enough power to drive any of the headphones that I've tried so far.

I would recommend the iBasso to anyone who is not happy with the sound quality from the onboard DAC/headphone amplifier circuit on their laptop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts