AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an IBM Deskstar 180 GPX 120GB 7200RPM hard drive from www.a2zcomp.com for $120.19 W/shipping! on 4/4/03

I unpluged my unit, removed the stock 40GB hard drive, installed new IBM 120GB drive, right out of the box and into the reciever.

Pluged the unit back up, connected the phone line, turned unit on.

The reciever dialed out and started to download updated info. Please Note

this download took 106 Min.

The long wait was well worth it becouse I now have 109 Hr. of recording time.

This upgrade was very simple, unlike TIVO!

Let's hear about your installs and why is it the BEST!:D

·
Registered
956 Posts
I selected WD and that's what I used for my first upgrade, but I now also have a Samsung! There's a couple of recent threads about the Samsung drives, which are virtually the only 5400 rpm 120Gb drives out there. Not sure how much the 5400 rpm really matters (supposed to be less heat), but they're going for about $100 so it's also a good deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I upgraded with a maxtor Drive only $89.99 after rebates and was very easy 104 mins. and now have 105 hrs. i just removed the factory 40GB drive and installed the new one and it started the download so very easy!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
i bought two of the western digital 120 gig drives when cc had them for $90. they are the 7200 rpm 8mb buffer. did both at same time. unlocked the old seagates at the same time. did one while the other was downloading the sw. had them both upgraded and back on line in 4hrs. nary a hitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, model No. would be very helpful to every one!

Date purchesed, where you got it, and a price would be nice:)

Especially any mods you may have!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered mine from newegg.com for $109.00 +$0 shipping and with their FedEx Express Saver shipping it came 2nd day. It is for my Sony UTV. It's getting the 104min upgrade from MSN now. Easy drive swapout. Quiet! Nice. :D

After reading some of the other threads on the high heat issue I decided to place some spacers under the unit to gain another half inch clearence for improved air flow hopefully. :cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by tropicalgreen
I just bought an IBM Deskstar 180 GPX 120GB 7200RPM hard drive from www.a2zcomp.com for $120.19 W/shipping! on 4/4/03

I unpluged my unit, removed the stock 40GB hard drive, installed new IBM 120GB drive, right out of the box and into the reciever.

Pluged the unit back up, connected the phone line, turned unit on.

The reciever dialed out and started to download updated info. Please Note

this download took 106 Min.

The long wait was well worth it becouse I now have 109 Hr. of recording time.

This upgrade was very simple, unlike TIVO!

Let's hear about your installs and why is it the BEST!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
As noted in this thread , I've been using the 5400rpm samsung 120gb drive for about a month now, and it's been great! No problems at all with heat, noise, or reliability. Too bad it wasn't included in the poll. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.