AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are into radio, broadcasting and such, this document from the CRTC will keep you busy for a day or three. IBOC is discussed, esp. on pages 58 and 61.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publicatio...rts/rp1002.pdf

Quote:
IBOC

While a number of radio stations (1,750 out of 13,000 AM/FM stations) in the U.S. are

operating IBOC transmitters, sales of receivers remain sluggish. Further, AM IBOC rollout

has essentially stopped in the U.S. in 2008 due to interference issues.

For its part, the Commission, through its digital radio policy (Broadcasting Public Notice 2006-

160),89 stated that it would be prepared to authorize services using the IBOC technology.

Industry Canada is preparing rules and regulations for the operation of IBOC which could

include an amendment to FM Broadcasting Procedures and Rules (BPR-3). It is not actively

looking at AM IBOC.

However, where the Canadian market is concerned, IBOC is at a very nascent stage and an

eventual large-scale deployment in the Canadian market remains highly uncertain.

They seem to be of the consesnus that IBOC may yet happen in Canada but probably not on AM.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Thats a good thing!!

This IBOC crap totally ruins the AM band at night....

I am a DXer and i love to listen to stations from all over at night.. (Thats been harder since the IBOC stuff has been allowed @ night)

If canada is going to adopt this stuff,KEEPING IT OFF THE AM BAND IS THE BEST THING THEY CAN DO!!

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 /forum/post/18200495

Thats a good thing!!

This IBOC crap totally ruins the AM band at night....

I am a DXer and i love to listen to stations from all over at night.. (Thats been harder since the IBOC stuff has been allowed @ night)

If canada is going to adopt this stuff,KEEPING IT OFF THE AM BAND IS THE BEST THING THEY CAN DO!!

Forget HD radio, the CBC is leaving AM radio entirely. AM radio is dying. Your DXing is a hobby that will have no efect on the outcome whether we have HD radio or not. With all due respect your comment about HD radio ruining your fun sounds like a little boy having a tantrum.Why don't you cry about all of those daytimerrs which now run 24 hours a day and causing harmful interference. There are many more ex daytimers operating at night destroying DXing than there are HD stations. Try being honest.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 /forum/post/18200495

Stations survive on local listeners, not distant listeners. More people will listen to a high-quality digital station than a low-quality analog station.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I used to listen to CBC's Vinyl Cafe...you know how bad the CBC nearly is for reception now?

for shortwave I have a collection of qsl's...except there. I can get Deutche Welle right out of rwanda better than their signal (shortwave not am)

Somewhat sad but that's the way it is

·
Super Moderator
19,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSquam /forum/post/18568285

"However, where the Canadian market is concerned, IBOC is at a very nascent stage and an eventual large-scale deployment in the Canadian market remains highly uncertain."

You left this part out.

Uhm, no, it's right there in the initial post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.