AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how is the first Day-and-Date D-Theater movie? ... the first animated D-Theater movie?

As for PQ, simply stunning. From the opening scenes, you know you're seeing something you've never seen before. I was very impressed to see the "grain" in the snow surface, the tiny snow flakes, the subtle puffs of dust raised when the mastadon's feet hit the ground, and the detail on the animals' fur.

Part of the amazing PQ is due to the detail of the original animation. I don't think the D-Theater PQ would be as dramatic for older animated material. I'd hope ABC can re-run Pinocchio in HD so we can compare.

Re: content, my kids loved it. This is a great kids' movie that many adults might enjoy. It even has a good message: how to be a team player. I, however, thought the movie content was only so-so. The plot was overly familiar, and the streetwise characters with their 21st Century expressions were a detractor IMO. But I'm over 30 so I'm ancient and need to chill out.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Art,

I have not seen the DVD. How does the snow surface look in the opening scene of the DVD? I bet you can't see texture like in the D-Theater version.

·
Registered
176 Posts
@Art:

For what is possible with DVD, the Ice Age-DVD isn't good. There's is not enough ROM used :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dneily
How does the snow surface look in the opening scene of the DVD? I bet you can't see texture like in the D-Theater version.
I have not seen the D-Theater version, but I felt that on the DVD, the opening scene snow looked dirty/grainy/noisy on my setup (HTPC, TT 1.5, G90, 100" wide 1.5 gain screen). I actually thought my screen was dirty when I saw the scene--but it wasn't. And it was only the snow in the opening--I don't remember seeing anything untoward snow or ice-wise in the rest fo the film.

My current theory is that I'm either insane (most people cannot stop gushing about the DVD PQ, so I'm the odd man out for thinking that the opening scene snow looked off) or that the snow's texture didn't like the relatively low bitrate MPEG2 encoding process (in other words, the snow's rich texture acted like film grain, which really messes with MPEG2 encoders). An informal polling of friends and family has insanity in a comfortable lead.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I just watched Ice Age on DVD tonight on my 116" wide screen. I was really looking forward to seeing this on D-Theater, but I rented the DVD just in case. Well, it looks like the one tape that won't play in my 30k right now is the Ice Age tape. Every other tape I've tried plays fine but I couldn't find any spot on the Ice Age tape that works.

I noticed that the DVD has both versions (widescreen and fullscreen). This is usually an indication that the PQ won't be the best. I would say for an animation the PQ left a lot to be desired. Definitely way behind Monsters, Inc. for me. So, Alex I would say you are right. However, to be fair the large amounts of sky scenes and scenes with large color transitions probably do make it easier to see problems than with Monsters, Inc.

Still looking forward to seeing this thing in all it's glory.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I went to 5 video stores looking for this tape. I still have not been able to find it.

Suncoast - No D-Theater titles carried

Wherehouse - Same as Suncoast

Best Buy - Deja Vu all over again. They even sell the JVC 30K! But still no tapes...

Circuit City - Take a wild guess...

Tower Video - They do carry D-Theater! But no Ice Age. Still.

Day and date release is nice, but I will like it when I can actually find it locally instead of having to order of the web. When that happens, I will celebrate.

Oh, I do have it on order, but it is backordered for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Best Buy - Deja Vu all over again. They even sell the JVC 30K! But still no tapes...

How messed up is that? I asked my local BB when they would have tapes back on October, the guy who was actually hunted down and not just a floor dweeb, said "maybe next month." Last week, the deck they had on display wasn't even hooked up to anything anymore...

·
Registered
416 Posts
geez,

what else do you expect from BB :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.