AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Not only does he sound positive about 360 but negative about PS3.

These developers have to be getting tired of Sony hardware being number one and a pain to make games for.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Dean, is that for real? I mean, is it really difficult to program for whatever the architecture is in a Sony gaming console? I hadn't known that, but then again this time around I'd have imagined it be a little easier for studios to cross-platform program. Not sure about the "Sony hardware being number one" though.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Semi-distrubing paragraph:

"Another swipe at the Cell processor, he said while talking with an IBM designer that was working on the processor said that “now that graphics was now superior they could use the computing power of multi-core processing for physics and AI.†Carmack was not pleased with graphics in their current state and would like to make games look as good as The Lord of the Rings movies in real time. He’s more interested in graphics performance over physics or AI because not only does it not always make the game better, the less focus on those aspects can make a game run faster. “Personally I’d rather see our next generation run at 60 frames per second on a console rather than add a bunch more physics stuff. I actually don’t think we’ll make it. I think we’ll be at 30 frames per second for the consoles for most of what we’re doing. We’re going to be soaking up a lot of the CPU just for normal housekeeping types of things that we’re doing.†While he admitted that he seemed to be a bigger fan of Microsoft, he did say he was interested in Sony making waves in the sense that they may make PlayStation 3 more of an open platform, since he didn’t like closed development platforms and certification processes. “Nintendo was always the worst about that sort of thing, and that’s one of the reasons why we’re not real close.â€"

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Obvously he's more of a graphics guy (rather than physics).

He is not a MS fan however, he's far less than pleased with how MS is treating OpenGL in Vista.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
Dean, is that for real? I mean, is it really difficult to program for whatever the architecture is in a Sony gaming console? I hadn't known that, but then again this time around I'd have imagined it be a little easier for studios to cross-platform program. Not sure about the "Sony hardware being number one" though.
You're not sure that Sony Hardware is number 1?

The last Sony console PS2 was very difficult. Lorne Lanning of oddworld fame totally jumped ship from PS2 as a result of not being developer friendly and it seems now that more devlopers are saying the same things about PS3.

It's only my ;guess; they are actually tired of it.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Dean, I am not a programmer and as such I wouldn't know if their platform is #1 in ease of programming on. My field is WAN, not coding.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
Dean, I am not a programmer and as such I wouldn't know if their platform is #1 in ease of programming on. My field is WAN, not coding.
What I meant by number 1 is in sales. Sony has had the number one console twice in a row now and from what I have heard neither were developer friendly with ps2 being even less friendly so if the Sony system is nuimber one thats the one you want to make games for but with 360 and xbox they have more choices and it will be easier for them if someone can make a console geared that way.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
PS2 was said to be hard to program for yet there is a plethora of amazing games on that system. PS3 is said (by some developers) to be much easier to program for so I bet it will even less of an "issue" this time around. Sony also has licensed many tools to help as well.

and yes, Doom III is garbage compared to the original.. what happened to the creative level designs they used to be so good at? graphics are nice, but what else? basing my opinion off the xbox version.. It was fun for a little while but it felt even more cut and past than Halo:CE.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
PS2 was said to be hard to program for yet there is a plethora of amazing games on that system. PS3 is said (by some developers) to be much easier to program for so I bet it will even less of an "issue" this time around. Sony also has licensed many tools to help as well.

and yes, Doom III is garbage compared to the original.. what happened to the creative level designs they used to be so good at? graphics are nice, but what else? basing my opinion off the xbox version.. It was fun for a little while but it felt even more cut and past than Halo:CE.
Doom 3 was more about atmosphere and scaring you using the latest graphics and sound advancements to do it. I think it acheived that but didn't really bring anything groundbreaking in the way of gameplay to the table.

Half Life 2 was kind of like that. The original story seemed better by comparison. it's hard to compete with a classic. maybe ID needs to do something brand new.

Let's cross our fingers for Quake 4.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
well yes, it wasn't garbage, that was harsh.. I did enjoy it for a little bit.. but then it just dragged. For me the level design just killed any desire to go on, I found myself using the level skip code to see what happens next..Ultimately it didn't matter any more.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
It was fun for a little while but it felt even more cut and past than Halo:CE.

Ouch! I don't know if it was that bad. I definitely appreciated more the atmosphere of Doom 3 than anything else.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Guys, how can you knock John Carmack? He is probably one of the most talented engine designers out there. The reason people put weight into what he says is because he's a technical guru. Sure, the gameplay and mechanics may suck to you, but the ENGINES are what he builds and they're way ahead of their time.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
the engine is great, nobody is arguing that, same with Halo:CE.. I'm just wish the level design were more varied, the original had much better level designs in my opinion. On it's own it is a above average game, just the level design sucks when you compare it to older versions of the game which had fantastic level designs.. In my opinion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lets discuss the influence that "The Carmack" has had on gaming...and this is just the ramblings of a guy after a bottle of the Seven deadly Zins.

1. Doom and Doom][......co-op and multiplayer over modems....before the internet...

2. Quake....FPS brought to a new level...

3. GLQuake....3d rendering with ad-on video cards..first...

4 Quakeworld.....IP based gaming...client server model...changed forever the internet gaming world....I logged onto a server the night a client came out and some guy named JohnC came on to the server and asked me where I got the client...

5. Quake3 Engine.... One of the most used engines Ever in 3d gaming.. a rock solid netcode and amazing graphics for its day. Still used in many retail games..

6 Doom 3 - Pushes graphics and CPU MFG's to the limit... they know they have to have capable hardware our get crushed.....Sure I can understand Doom III was not for everyone, but the engine is amazing and you will see some great stuff in the future based on it.

Well Known Facts....3dfx is out of business today because of John Carmack and his push towards OpenGL. 3dfx tried to fight id Software and lost bigtime...(I was a shareholder...I know)

Epic Gaming...Unreal Engine creator credits id software with inspiring them as well as Game Newell from Valve (Half Life)

His body of work speaks for itself....if all you ever played was Doom III then I feel badly for you....you need your gamer card revoked, or you just had your 11th brithday, in that case I understand

Next time you fire up your favorite multiplayer game...thank "TheCarmack"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.