AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to appologize for my arrogant behavior,i was a bit upset at the plan microsoft had done yes, but i;ll get over it. :eek:

I'm still going to get the xbox360 if not for it being the first one out the gate and for the exclusive titles.(That Gears of War game spiked my interest).

Like you guys said, i would get over it.I'm in no means a fanboy since i play both consoles PS2 and xbox all the time.It's still upsetting though that we were mislead a bit but i'm getting over it.

It's just that as much as i like the xbox, it was'nt the end of it's life cycle yet, it was just starting to get real good, and now they announced the xbox360.

Oh well times change and things are sure to get better!

I admit since that announcement of the xbox360, i wasn't myself lately on these threads, Even though i said i would get the PS3 and it would be more powerfull you guys are right, things are subject to change and i remeber that sony always makes promises they don't keep.

Oh well, just wanted to tell you guys that i'm sorry for being a spazz and ignoramous.

I'm back to feeling like myself again, and will look foward to the future of both next gen consoles. :)

let's hope they both succed! :cool:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey,

It spurred a lot of discussion here on the board. Even J. Allard was paying attention as he now is going to have an online chat to clear things up.

The noisy wheel gets the grease!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Takes a big man :)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
It's all good man. I knew you weren't quite yourself.

I too know that I can be pretty dogmatic with my opinions but I never intentionally mean to insult anyone. If I do/did I apologize as well, in the spirit of a thread of atonement.

One thing's for sure, we'll all be able to settle our differences on LIVE no matter what.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was upset, but then realized later on it's no big deal!

The $399 version will be the better bargain because if you bought the core system it would cost more for the same accesssories.

Hardrive: $100

Wireless Controller: $50

Headset:$20 (not sure of the exact price?)

Plus add the core $299 unit and it adds up to $470, and that's not including tax!

So therefore the $399 is the version i'm getting, unless they can somehow change their plan for including composite cables with the core unit, and replacing it with component cables.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I just hope that their component video cables are decently shielded, unlike the throwaways included in the original Xbox's HD pack. I also found it interesting how their VGA cable is priced the same as their component video cables considering that VGA cables are traditionally more expensive. Let's hope that discrepancy in quality, where the VGA cable is poorly made while the component video cable is of good quality, doesn't account for this odd pricing. Microsoft has made it clear from the beginning that this is the generation for utmost profit, so the discrepancy in pricing does make sense in that respect.

As for the system itself, I think the price is perfectly reasonable for a well-built console that rivals the $2,000 PC that I built 6 months ago, even if the system were to cost $599. Think of it as the console for gaming enthusiasts even though it's not nearly at the price for PC machines tailored for gaming enthusiasts. Hell, I and many others paid more for just for one video card that probably outputs the same quality as the Xbox 360.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
The $399 version will be the better bargain because if you bought the core system it would cost more for the same accesssories.
I think their are four accessories that basically make the $400 Xbox 360 version a far better choice. Based on this information : hard drive $100, wireless controller $50, wireless headset $20, and component video cables $40. To say the least no serious gamer should take a second look at the Xbox 360 core system.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I do see your point and everyone elses that MS did give the impression that this was going to be a killer High def system with all of this cool stuff and we all do want them to succeed and then the release a system that seems weaker than the previous Xbox, that being the core unit.

These are the issues that I see though:

A. cost. To get what you really wanted it appears that you have to spend $100 more. MS wanted to give a lower price option but in doing so they made people feel like they were being screwed out of $100. Had there been no Core unit you would have been charged $399 anyway so I really don't see this as an issue.

B.Concern over use of the HDD.

This one is pretty valid I just don't know how much of an impact there really will be. It was said that the HDD was needed for caching but so much more has been said about not really needing it. Then there was some mention of games like Elder Scrolls and an updated release on Bethesda's website saying they don't require a hard drive. Obviously other consoles don't have an HDD and have good games and the PS3 won't be using it's HDD for games so I don't think this is going to be as bad as everyone thinks.

C. Confusion of two models/SKU's.

I think there will be some uneducated people out there but I doubt it will create 'confusion'. People will see two Xbox models and look at what they come with and what they can do with each model. Try going to buy an Ipod today. There are several models of Ipods and somehow people figure it out. The worst thing that can happen is you get the wrong 360 and then return it to the store.

D. cost vs. value.

This one I can agree with. By releasing a bare bones unit and then marking up the accessories so high MS really leaves most people with no choice but to buy the $100 upgraded set up. For most people I think they would have gladly done this anyway but the cheaper unit is a waste and therefore looks like an insult to our intelligence.

I for one am glad there is a cheaper unit as an option so if I did need a second box, the option is there. Perhaps they should have made the price either $50 less or the larger 360 package $50 more.

Or they could have made the core unit $350 and included a drive. and made the 360 package $450. They are losing money on the 360 package at $399 anyway but had they done all of this from the start these would have been real options for people and not so much of an insult. But the prices are there now so there's no going back at this point.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Big news tends to cause big over reactions:D

I remember at e3 I was totally against 360 for about a day...why?? that damn killzone footage...which made me think...ahhhh xbox is not even in the same league....if ps3 experiences are like this...why settle for 360??

then the pre-render news hit...I went back to normal. Then prob even reversed stances after the hardware heads ripped into both systems and developers detailed how both systems are comparable.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
I was upset, but then realized later on it's no big deal!

Hardrive: $100

Wireless Controller: $50

Headset:$20 (not sure of the exact price?)

Plus add the core $299 unit and it adds up to $470, and that's not including tax!

So therefore the $399 is the version i'm getting, unless they can somehow change their plan for including composite cables with the core unit, and replacing it with component cables.
i agree with your assessment for the most part...but i don't think it's fair you list the wireless controller for $50. i mean a wired controller ($40) already comes with the core system. part of the extra $100 for the premium system includes the $10 upcharge for the wireless controller. if you buy the core system you don't have to add a wireless controller to play it. if you do that's really no different than buying a second wireless controller to the premium system.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim
Takes a big man :)
Agreed!! Kudos to Croc for being able to come in here and start this thread!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's still nice to have though, the wireless controller i mean.

But i'm getting the bundled version so, that should work out fine!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's still nice to have though, the wireless controller i mean.

But i'm getting the bundled version so, that should work out fine!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
I just hope that their component video cables are decently shielded, unlike the throwaways included in the original Xbox's HD pack. I also found it interesting how their VGA cable is priced the same as their component video cables considering that VGA cables are traditionally more expensive. Let's hope that discrepancy in quality, where the VGA cable is poorly made while the component video cable is of good quality, doesn't account for this odd pricing. Microsoft has made it clear from the beginning that this is the generation for utmost profit, so the discrepancy in pricing does make sense in that respect...
I don't know where you shop but VGA cables are much cheaper then component. VGA can be had for as little as $1/foot, component cables run begin at $2/foot and go way up (monster $60 / 4' = $15/foot). VGA cables are the cheap analog monitor cables, they've been around forever. Sure, you can use composite (RCA) type cables as component and those are dirt cheap, but then again you can use any wire standard wire on any input and it'll work. Also, so called high end vga cables eliminate the signaling from the display to the computer so it doesn't know the available resolutions (its replaced with more sheilding). Note that this does not at all justify their pricing of either cable!! ;)

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPtimeACE
I don't know where you shop but VGA cables are much cheaper then component. VGA can be had for as little as $1/foot, component cables run begin at $2/foot and go way up (monster $60 / 4' = $15/foot). VGA cables are the cheap analog monitor cables, they've been around forever. Sure, you can use composite (RCA) type cables as component and those are dirt cheap, but then again you can use any wire standard wire on any input and it'll work. Also, so called high end vga cables eliminate the signaling from the display to the computer so it doesn't know the available resolutions (its replaced with more sheilding). Note that this does not at all justify their pricing of either cable!! ;)
When you consider brands, within each brand the VGA cable usually costs more than the component cable. Last time I checked, Microsoft is one brand. You changed my argument by making a more general statement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.