AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I would add the shipping cost for Hsu and Rythmik offerings to reflect the total out of pocket cost so that they can be fairly compared to other subs in the price range.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Hopefully it will get used but I think a lot of posts are still going to ask since many don't do much research before posting....
And I think I am starting to sound like a broken record... lol.

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
My $.02 is to include as many ID vendors as possible (Funk, Outlaw, Deep Sea and any others I missed) and not limit yourself to the those listed.

I'd also include a "up to date as of xx/xx/xxxx" somewhere on the first post.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would add the shipping cost for Hsu and Rythmik offerings to reflect the total out of pocket cost so that they can be fairly compared to other subs in the price range.
Yeah, I should do that. But, since the shipping costs vary, I didn't want to be unfair. Maybe it'd be better to simply note that you do have to pay for shipping with Hsu and Rythmik.

Hopefully it will get used but I think a lot of posts are still going to ask since many don't do much research before posting....
Agreed--my hope is that I (and others) can simply pop this link in the reply.

My $.02 is to include as many ID vendors as possible (Funk, Outlaw, Deep Sea and any others I missed) and not limit yourself to the those listed.

I'd also include a "up to date as of xx/xx/xxxx" somewhere on the first post.
I really wanted to go with the most common recommendations around here. Outlaw plays in a bit lower end space. I could absolutely add Funk (I honestly debated whether or not I should and decided against it since I see Funk as more of a "custom" shop). Frankly, Deep Sea is too new and hasn't really garnered recommendations yet since their product hasn't officially launched.

The "As of" date is on the right side under the legend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Never mind, I get what's going on.

Ok, can I suggest adding another "category/color?" For instance, with the Echo 15 is introduced in the $1,000 budget category, is shown in black in the $1,250 category which may make it seem "out of its league" but is still very comparable to the likes of the V1500 and FVX15. Am I making sense? Where in the $1,500 the V1500 may not be as comparable to the Echo 18, FV15HP, etc.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deep Sea Sound products have definitely officially launched. You can call or PM Dave to buy one right now. The website isn't up yet but it will be soon.
That's great to hear; we're still talking about a product that almost no one yet owns. Is it likely going to be a great product? Yup--but can we at least try to keep up the pretense that a reasonable number of people around here have actually experienced a product before we recommend it?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
That's great to hear; we're still talking about a product that almost no one yet owns. Is it likely going to be a great product? Yup--but can we at least try to keep up the pretense that a reasonable number of people around here have actually experienced a product before we recommend it?
I think its definitely safe to recommend the Deep Sea Subs. The driver is essentially a known quantity by this point, as is the amplifier. The cabinet and bracing is definitely there. And since I did experience it, I don't have to wait for a reasonable number of people to hear it, I know its capability. It's easy to recommend!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think its definitely safe to recommend the Deep Sea Subs. The driver is essentially a known quantity by this point, as is the amplifier. The cabinet and bracing is definitely there. And since I did experience it, I don't have to wait for a reasonable number of people to hear it, I know its capability. It's easy to recommend!
I'm sure you're right.

What else competes in the $4,000 space though? Funk is the only ID name that comes to mind--even JTR and Seaton don't push above $3500 with their main products. I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of.

If I expand the list to include a $4000 price point, I'll definitely add Deep Sea to the list.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I think this is a good idea and will be a helpful resource to use. :)

However, unfortunately the "what should I buy threads" will only change by the number of subs they are considering in their first post.

The rest of the thread will still debate ported vs sealed vs music vs movies vs dual weaker subs now vs 1 expensive sub vs downfiring vs front firing vs big room vs small room vs ulf worth it vs 15-30hz is the sweet spot vs commercial vs diy vs WAF vs budget vs different intepretaions of data-bass tests vs subs not tested by data-bass vs fanbois vs haters vs ...

;)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rest of the thread will still debate ported vs sealed vs music vs movies vs dual weaker subs now vs 1 expensive sub vs downfiring vs front firing vs big room vs small room vs ulf worth it vs 15-30hz is the sweet spot vs commercial vs diy vs WAF vs budget vs different intepretaions of data-bass tests vs subs not tested by data-bass vs fanbois vs haters vs ...
Well, we don't want to spoil all the fun, do we? :D

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I'm sure you're right.

What else competes in the $4,000 space though? Funk is the only ID name that comes to mind--even JTR and Seaton don't push above $3500 with their main products. I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of.

If I expand the list to include a $4000 price point, I'll definitely add Deep Sea to the list.
Danley Sound Labs are another serious sub manufacturer in that price range. They are known for making stuff for more professional uses like live audio and commercial theater systems, but they have some heavy-duty subs for dedicated home theater systems as well. I don't know how much it costs, but James Loudspeaker has a monster sub in their M213, which has a 21" driver and two 21" passive radiators. That one can't be cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
shadyJ said:
I'm confused: You may be right that recommending this sub is a no-brainer, but your post flies in the face of your usual "data-bass.com testing and graphs tell the real story, and subjective opinions don't mean much" position on subwoofer offerings, especially those from new ID companies. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
I really wanted to go with the most common recommendations around here. Outlaw plays in a bit lower end space. I could absolutely add Funk (I honestly debated whether or not I should and decided against it since I see Funk as more of a "custom" shop). Frankly, Deep Sea is too new and hasn't really garnered recommendations yet since their product hasn't officially launched.

The "As of" date is on the right side under the legend.
My vote is if the spreadsheet is meant to objectively list the options available, all the subs that would be discussed in any "what sub should I get for my budget" should be listed. Otherwise, it's a "partial list of ID subs" and not doing a buyer a help, imo.

I saw the date in the spreadsheet, but I think you should make it more prominent. Or if there updates bump the thread with a "updated xx/xx/xxxx" post

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I'm confused: You may be right that recommending this sub is a no-brainer, but your post flies in the face of your usual "data-bass.com testing and graphs tell the real story, and subjective opinions don't mean much" position on subwoofer offerings, especially those from new ID companies. :confused:
Quite a bit is known about the driver and amp used in the Deep Sea Sound subwoofer. It's capabilities aren't that mysterious, as opposed to companies that won't release any real information about their driver and amp, or any concrete performance metrics. Those are the companies that I would take a wait and see approach against.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My vote is if the spreadsheet is meant to objectively list the options available, all the subs that would be discussed in any "what sub should I get for my budget" should be listed. Otherwise, it's a "partial list of ID subs" and not doing a buyer a help, imo.
Are there specific brands you'd want to see represented there? shadyJ suggested adding Deep Sea, Funk, and Outlaw. I'm happy to add more if people want to use this resource; the brands I chose are the 7 I see recommended in almost every thread.

I saw the date in the spreadsheet, but I think you should make it more prominent. Or if there updates bump the thread with a "updated xx/xx/xxxx" post
Fair enough--I can do both.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts