Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I need help soon!

I'm looking at a PJ on ebay (yes, one that looks too good to be true), but the seller has said he is genuine and willing to use an escrow service (at his cost). I just wanted to know if this makes the deal totally safe? What I mean is, even if he takes the money and runs and I don't get the PJ, can I claim the cash back from the escrow company? He suggests G1-escrow, anyone know of them?

Thanks in advance.

Kane

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Kane,

I can share an escrow experience I had about a year or so ago. I used tradenable (formerly iescrow). It wasn't for a projector, but it was a relatively big ticket item: a Sun Ultra 10 workstation with 21" monitor.

When the computer arrived the monitor was damaged and the workstation would not boot. I contacted the seller and informed him of this and he assured me that everything was fine when it was shipped. The system was well packed with foam-in-place packing. Still, I rejected the transaction via the escrow system; at the time buyers were given a three day inspection period after taking delivery. The seller had to file a claim with the shipping carrier. Someone came to my home from UPS and inspected the packing and damage, and left two pickup tags to send the merchandise back to the seller. I did receive a refund from the escrow service for the full amount less the escrow fee. The entire process took about 35 days.

--Jerome

·
Registered
53 Posts
I second Jerome's experience, escrow service for what it's worth, does work as a buyer's safety net. Tradenable is quite reputable online escrow service as I always use them whenever I bought stuffs from the Net (sight unseen).

My tips to you: (1)Please specify/describe the item and the terms as clearly as possible when use the escrow, (2)Don't compromise for an inspection time that's less than 3 days, (3)In case something is indeed wrong do notify the escrow first and make sure they received your notice, then notify the seller, and (4)When inspect the projector, please ask for a second opinion, i.e. a knowledgeable friend (not the one claims to be knowledgeable) and do the test throroughly and carefully.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Make sure you check out the escrow service!

I read a thread some time ago where the escrow service was put up two days prior to the listing by some nobody who ripped the site from a legitimate escrow service. The whole thing "looked" legit, but it was a definite scam. Do a "whois" search on the escrow service's domain name and find out the specifics (especially the date they were established).

Also, try to put the charge on a credit card. You always have that to fall back on as well.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
As far as carefully inspecting the projector, if it's a scam, there is no projector, and you'll be able to see its lack of existence right away! :)

Seriously, the big risk is clearly that the escrow service is bogus. Only use one that *you* choose. I would assume that, given that he's suggested an escrow service that no one has heard of, that that's the scam.

Mike

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There is another alternative. When I sold my projector I sent it to the buyer COD. Prior to that I had the buyer send me $75 to cover the shipping/COD costs in case he rejected it. With COD you can specify cashiers check and the buyer can inspect for damage. I think this is a much more equitable way to complete a transaction. The buyer only risks a small amount of money and the seller doesn't risk possible buyer abuse of the three day inspection period. With escrow the buyer can actually abuse the 3 day period and use it for evaluation even if the product works as stated, he can still reject it.

John Moschella

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The COD delivery man waited and let him unpack and take the time to expect.... Here in Europe they dump and run !!

·
Registered
976 Posts
One thing of advice I can give is read the auciton closely.. I saw a guy selling a Sharp Projector and would do Escrow but stated that opening of the box is considered accepting the item which I find stupid.. Be careful on things like that too..

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.