AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read every thread here with "ID4" and "Independence" in the title, but, noone seems to have mentioned this. I happened to have recorded the first hour of a 4x3 presentation of ID4 on cable channed F/X the other day by mistake (I was trying to get Buffy reruns). When I saw what had been recorded I decided to get out my SE 2-disc set of this movie and put it up on the projector figuring I'd see how chopped up the P&S F/X version was compared to the full anamorphically enhanced widescreen DVD in 2.35:1.

What a surprise to find that the DVD appears to have been severely cropped on the bottom of its frame! Unfortunately, I have recorded over the tape of the F/X broadcast, so, I cannot give multiple examples, but, the difference was very noticeable in the domestic scene at chapter 12 when the Will Smith character is in the kitchen. His girlfriend comes into the scene from the camera side and he grabs her and nuzzles her. On the tape we can see most of her skirt as she walks on and much more of what is going on in the grab and nuzzle (yes, I'm a skirt watcher). On the DVD at least 20% (estimate) of the frame on the bottom is missing/cropped/gonzo... wassup with that?

Anyone else see this? Anyone have the DVD and some other version to compare?

I notice that at the very bottom of the back of the DVD case it says:

" Widescreen version: Presented in a letterbox widescreen format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition"

Yea, preserving the aspect ratio, but, apparently not the content! :mad:

Come on DVD mavens, what am I missing here (besides a large section of the movie visuals)?

Mark H

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Ah.... Let's see.... Filmed in Super 35 via the IMDB. Ah..... Mattes...... Uh...... 4:3 showing content that wasn't intented to be seen in the OTAR release. Yup, that must be it. You got all upset and mad over nothing. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the fast response Jerry G. 'Guess this topic is alot more complicated than I realized...

For those relative neophytes like myself.

IMDB = Internet Movie Database

OTAR = Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio

"4x3 showing content that wasn't intended to be seen in the OTAR release"

Whoa, that's the kicker. The fact that I could see content in a 4x3 P&S cable TV presentation of this movie 6 years after its release that I had never seen before...something is wrong with that.

And yah, I know the argument that the part of the frame that was not intended for OTAR release is not important anyway, but, I'm sorry, Vivicia Fox's skirt is important ;)

Is there any way for those of us who want the whole enchilada to see it?

Mark H

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Is there any way for those of us who want the whole enchilada to see it?
The OTAR is the whole enchilada. The "rest of the picture" is only there due to the shape of the negative it was filmed onto. That's not what the director wanted- if it was, it would have been that way in the theater.

What you were seeing is often called an Open Matte/Full Frame transfer. It the easiest way to make Super35 films ready for broadcast TV, where people can't stand not having their screen filled.

Todd

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Go to your nearest tachion signal site pick out the year it was filmed, go back in time fix the F***** once and for all.:p

Man the DVD disc of ID4 I got, sure looks wide screen to me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
seezar,

A very informative link. Thanks. The illustrations of bloopers that occur when the mattes are removed for 4x3 presentations gives a new reason to watch TV broadcasts of Super 35 films :D In some ways it's kinda surprising that studios/filmakers allow their movies to be presented like this. OTOH, if it's cheaper, I guess that explains it :rolleyes:

Mark H

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Delicious2
if it's cheaper, I guess that explains it :rolleyes:

Mark H
Yes its cheaper coz it offers the aspect ratio the film maker intends it to appear in the silver screen and have the option of a 4;3 release for broadcast.

In theaters a 2.35:1 release is a fullscreen version. 1.851 will have the curtains cover a portion of the sides of the screen, and a 1.33:1 will have a small picture in the center (like the "BIG JOKE" movie Blair Witch Projects). In a 4:3 TV it is in reverse.

a 16x9 monitor will be in the center of the 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Better get used to it...as movies shot in Super-35 that are released on video with their alleged "OAR" will be the theatrical version...be it scope or flat (a full frame version could be offered too...zoomed out enough to hide things that aren't supposed to be seen. But boy, will the crowds be screaming bloody "P&S" then!).

Of course, fans just wouldn't settle for a video version with a reformatted AR even if such action give us more resolution resulting from a narrower aspect ratio (higher vertical resolution; a 1:66:1 AR would be narrow enough to allow matting hiding mikes, booms, etc., from view and still providing a wide-screen effect) because they want their "OAR."

True anomorphic scope and 70mm-derived aspect ratios should always be strictly adhered to, however...

-THTS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.