AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best setup for one 80g master, 160g secondary partitioned as two 80g drives, one dvd +/- burner, and one 16x dvd rom drive. Just want to know the best cable and master/slave setup for Windows XP on P4 2.4??


Thanks in advance for what I hope will be a consensus!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Ideally, keep the opticals seperate from each other, that way you won't run into issues when copying from one to the other. With a harddrive source and an optical destination drive being on the same channel, it's less of an issue as your harddrive can seek and send data at a much faster rate.


$0.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,173 Posts
If you put the optical drive on the same channel as the hard drive you will slow them both down to ata 33. Either put both HD's on the same chain to keep the speed at ata 133 and the optical drives on the same channel or do yourself a favor and buy a IDE PCI card to make life easier (or faster).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by almostinsane
If you put the optical drive on the same channel as the hard drive you will slow them both down to ata 33
only true on some IDE controllers.... newest offerings from Intel do not suffer this....


:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One 80g partition for all music rips and digital photo's, the other 80g partition for dvd rips.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by almostinsane
If you put the optical drive on the same channel as the hard drive you will slow them both down to ata 33.
This myth was totally debunked by Maximum PC recently. While this used to be the case with IDE controllers years ago, all current hard drive controllers will control each device separately. Just because something was true years ago, in the infancy of IDE, doesn't mean it is still true today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Why separate by partition? Just use a folder structure that way you don't lock in disk limits by usage type, i.e.

Assuming lossless ripping you will fill up the DVD partition after about 20 or so DVDs) while your CD & pics partition will hold several thousand CDs & pics.....

Usually, other than for performance or specialty reasons (like to separate the OS, page file, etc from data) you want as few partitions as possible...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xstanbx
Why separate by partition? Just use a folder structure that way you don't lock in disk limits by usage type, i.e.

Assuming lossless ripping you will fill up the DVD partition after about 20 or so DVDs) while your CD & pics partition will hold several thousand CDs & pics.....

Usually, other than for performance or specialty reasons (like to separate the OS, page file, etc from data) you want as few partitions as possible...
I agree with your comment. I would do the same. (Well, I actually do :).)

_____

Axel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by almostinsane

If you put the optical drive on the same channel as the hard drive you will slow them both down to ata 33. Either put both HD's on the same chain to keep the speed at ata 133 and the optical drives on the same channel
Disagree, this used to be the case, way back in the day. Now this only holds true for some SCSI things, where you slow the cian down, but that's neitehr here nor there.

Quote:
Originally posted by almostinsane

or do yourself a favor and buy a IDE PCI card to make life easier (or faster).
Agreed, than you'll have no issues and everything will be happy on it's own channel.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top