AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me here. I think to drum up some interested in HD there should be teaser shots for things framed for 4x3 sets. Kinda like someones avatar that was zoom in between a pair of breast with the caption "Got widescreen?"

There could be commercials where something is going on and then something funny happens in the "widescreen parts" of the picture and then the announcer would say something like "to see what your missing run down to and check out the HDTV's"

Or during a football game when the show the coaches on the sidelines waiting for a extra point kick right now they show a little box on either side of the kicker with the coaches in it and everything fits on a regular tv. What they could do instead of protecting the 4x3 shot let "most" of the non-important graphics (like the boxes with the coaches in them" slip into the widescreen area so people get a fell of what they would be missing.

I know the difference between widescreen and HD but this could be a selling point and I think if the advertisers and sponsors pushed for this kind of stuff they could get a lot of people interested.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
to much complaining would be received by SD customers etc etc. However have you walked into a BB store lately? They are now pushing HD much more than ever before. ESPN-HD broadcast on all the tv's and it looks real good for most people - this is the way to push it. The other obvious way is through sports bars - creates lots of interest at once

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
basically, all retail stores are "pushing" HD now by default just because widescreen TVs take so much more floor space :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My favorite was this weekend's push on ESPN-HD of the HD technology and how clear it was as I was watching it on an SD set thinking "How in the world am I going to be able to tell over a SDTV that an HDTV monitor can really acheive what they are saying." I was cracking up at that wasted ad space and how they could have chosen much better wording for it.

I'm sitting there like "WOW how good that HDTV plasma looks in SD" .. MORONS, LMAO. I think they should stick to the concepts of larger fields of view and the fact that it can offer the picture quality that rivals the best DVD's in the world. not having Joe Sixpack looking at his SD set to say "That PQ looks the same as it does on this TV, why bother upgrading?"

It's rather senseless to have someone using an SDTV set comparing it to an HDTV set while viewing that HD set over an SD broadcast. Funniest thing I've ever seen, hopefully the masses just igonred how ridiculous the claim was and just realized that it's what it does and not what they're seeing.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
But they are pushing it with stretched 4:3 NTSC from a VCR, DVD, or Sat receiver.....check the channel selector buttons next time you walk by them.

Don't they have a clue?

(I've been suggesting we shoot the light rail trains as they cross each other's path at one of our downtown intersections. It'll give you an adrenalin rush just watching thru the windshield.....think about it in WS HDTV !!!)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Quote:
But they are pushing it with stretched 4:3 NTSC from a VCR, DVD, or Sat receiver.....check the channel selector buttons next time you walk by them.
You talking BB and are you sure this applies to all the stores??? The picture I saw looked darn good and I seriously doubt that was anything but true HD - that was a loop and not a game currently on

·
Registered
860 Posts
RCA did do this exact kind of commercial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.