AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been bouncing this around for a little while, and I think I've licked the issue of having a tivo with an HDTV rig. Background, the Tivo only accepts Standard Def connections RF, Composite, S-vid, the Dish 6000 has both SD and HD contacts, but only one can work at any given time.

System:

Sony VLP-VW10HT 16X9 LCD projector

Dish 6000 W/ OTA

Philips Tivo

Proposed Solution:

Currently I use the Y/Pr/Pb output on the 6000 to the projector. However, if I switch to VGA I can split the output, then downconvert one of them to SD.

Buy.com Prices:

Belkin Expand View 4X Power Spliter $89

Scan Converter PC to TV $89-250

So the question is, has anyone tried this before? How well will the scan converter handle the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
564 Posts
why would you want to go to all that trouble and expense? I had a Tivo

and a 6000 and the setup worked great.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I could be all wet on this, but can't you just use the S-video out to the Tivo and component out to your TV/receiver? The 6000 outputs HD on component and SD on your choice of RF/composite/S-video. It (the 6000) chooses the appropriate output depending on the source material. The Tivo will only record SD anyway, correct? So keep your component running to your projector and run a seperate SD output to the Tivo.

I have the 6000 but not Tivo, so if I've missed something someone please correct me.

Chip

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chs4:
I could be all wet on this, but can't you just use the S-video out to the Tivo and component out to your TV/receiver?
He wants to record the output of the 6000 on the TIVO, and from what I can tell, wants to record when he's receiving HD and displaying HD on his projector. He's got a problem because only one set of outputs is active at a time on the 6000, and outputting SD isn't an option because he wants to watch a true HD source on his projector with the 6000 in HD mode.

Quote:

The 6000 outputs HD on component and SD on your choice of RF/composite/S-video. It (the 6000) chooses the appropriate output depending on the source material.
Wrong and wrong. There is no RF output on a 6000, and the output is selected by the user pushing the SD/HD button on the remote or front panel. It doesn't matter what format the source material is.

To respond to the original posters questions, I would be a little surprised if the scan converter could sync to an HDTV signal. My guess is that it only syncs to a few ranges of horizontal scan rates, corresponding to typical PC monitor resolutions and refresh rates. For example, it might only sync to horizontal scan rates corresponding to 640x480 from 56 to 85hz, and 800x600 from 56 to 85hz. I don't know the specs of the scan converter you're looking at, but that's what I'd watch out for.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
564 Posts
Your solution is to buy a another receiver for $50.

Your other option, if you want the best signal from the Tivo to the

projector is to get a HTPC and connect the tivo to a TV card /w s-vid

in and that will give you a good progesive signal using Dtv.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

[This message has been edited by Trevor L (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I have a Tivo & Dish 6000, and I have them connected as follows:

HD - Component Outputs direct to TV (Toshiba TN50X81)

SD - S-video from Dish 6000 to Tivo, then on to TV

Since HD content can't be TiVo'ed, I just have to remember to keep the 6000 in SD mode unless I'm actually watching an HD program. Works well, no problems so far. The solution you propose will enable you to keep the 6000 in HD mode, but I don't know how it will handle the upconvergence of SD programming - If I try to watch an upconverted program via S-video, it's windowboxed - not pleasant.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have used a number of different Scan converters. Basically the quality is proportional to the price. However, it will not be anywhere near as good as what you get out of the Dish box so you are going to be giving away signal quality. I would have to agree with the other posts that the best and cleanest solution is to get a low cost Dish receiver and pay the extra $5 per month. One of the guys here at work bought the new Dish PVR501 but the menu system is really lacking compared to the Tivo Menu. The second receiver also allows you to record and watch 2 different shows.

..Doyle

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already have a Dish 5000 dedicated to the Tivo. It works alright, but I'd like to have tighter integration with the HD system. I think between my remote, a linux box, the RS-232 on the projector and the TivoNET I could have some interesting macros to handle various viewing situations more seamlessly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.