AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I will soon be setting up my linux mail/webserver to also act as a DVArchive server. I have a spare 120GB hard drive that I intend to use for DVArchive storage space. I was wondering which filesystem I should format it in? I have even considered formatting it as NTFS so that Windows XP can see it (it is a dual boot SuSE 9.1/WinXP box, but it is almost always running SuSE).

Any suggestions? Which filesystems should I avoid at all costs.

· Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't do NTFS on Linux. I know there is experimental support for writing to NTFS volumes, but it is not reliable yet. Reading is no problem. If you have to have it readable by both OS's, I would go with FAT, but in my opinion, I'd stick with ext2 or ext3 for performance and stability under Linux.

· Registered
430 Posts
I would avoid FAT12. FAT 12 supports up to 4084 clusters (15Mb) and is identified by 0x01 in the file system identifier on the drive (since this was the first file system recognised by PCs.)

· Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Avoid any FAT filesystems including FAT32.

Limits on the largest size for single file will potentially clash with larger

video files.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I guess for Linux box you are better off sticking with a native, "industrial-strength" filesystem.

· Registered
498 Posts
reiserfs is the way to go... if you want windows compability you are basically stuck with ntfs, which as others have mentioned isn't really writable from non windows. (it is officially experimental, i've never gotten it to work at all!) Reiser is very quick and quite efficient.

here is my question... it is mail server, how can you get away with dual boot? i would get rid of the windows portion entirely on this box and let it do what it needs to do.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
ext3 is a pretty good choice too -- well supported and available on nearly all linux kernels and there are a small number of windows programs that can read it (if that matters).

· Registered
3,162 Posts
You said "mailserver/webserver" - is the this potential DVArchive server located in an "exposed" area or a DMZ? Or is it located on your internal net and your firewall is forwarding the appropriate traffic to (and back - from) this system's httpd & smtpd services? Or ________ (insert any one of thousands of other possibilities in space provided)?

If this Linux server is handling a "medium" (or greater) level of http & smtp traffic - I'd start to wonder if the load on these services might start to interfere with DVArchive services/requests - specifically, the streaming server & performance with MQ & HQ shows, streamed both individually and even more so if DVA is streaming shows to multiple RTV's.

IMHO - If our "places were swapped" right now, I'd be giving serious consideration to just going and getting an under-$150 refurbished PIII system and turning that into dedicated 24/7 DVArchive server. IMHO - this simplifies things considerably - the Winblows compatibility requirement for the file system that will be used on the 120Gb drive that will hold the DVArchive Guide would no longer be an issue, as you can just install DVArchive on the windows system also and then use it to copy a show from the Linux DVArchive server to the the windows system (itself).

Just a random thought...

Here's a fairly decent deal on a possible system to use for building a dedicated 24/7 DVArchive server:
refurbished Dell Optiplex GX1 PIII 600Mhz./ 128MB/ 6GB/ CD Tower from SurplusComputers.com $99 + s/h. Some additional RAM wouldn't hurt, but that's no big expense, there almost giving away the PC-133 simms these days.

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rm -rf *.*
You said "mailserver/webserver" - is the this potential DVArchive server located in an "exposed" area or a DMZ? Or is it located on your internal net and your firewall is forwarding the appropriate traffic to (and back - from) this system's httpd & smtpd services? Or ________ (insert any one of thousands of other possibilities in space provided)?
The SuSE Box is behind a firewall on my internal network with all appropriate ports being forwarded to it. It is kind of fun to pull up the firewall summary and see all the ports that the machine is hosting. :D

Quote:

If this Linux server is handling a "medium" (or greater) level of http & smtp traffic - I'd start to wonder if the load on these services might start to interfere with DVArchive services/requests - specifically, the streaming server & performance with MQ & HQ shows, streamed both individually and even more so if DVA is streaming shows to multiple RTV's.
I'd say the traffic volume is rather low. The box's main function is to act as my personal e-mail account. I have also set up some other mail accounts for family members who use them sparingly. The http traffic is just to my family webpage feature photos of kids, resumes, etc. Oh, and of course the interface for Squirrelmail webmail. :cool:

Quote:

IMHO - If our "places were swapped" right now, I'd be giving serious consideration to just going and getting an under-$150 refurbished PIII system and turning that into dedicated 24/7 DVArchive server. IMHO - this simplifies things considerably - the Winblows compatibility requirement for the file system that will be used on the 120Gb drive that will hold the DVArchive Guide would no longer be an issue, as you can just install DVArchive on the windows system also and then use it to copy a show from the Linux DVArchive server to the the windows system (itself).

Just a random thought....
I paid $150 for this machine at Fry's (I couldn't pass it up). It is an AMD Duron 1800 with 128 MB of RAM (definitely needs more before I add in the DVArchive bit). I'd prefer not to have to administer yet another computer for the sole purpose of Archiving/Scheduling with DVArchive. I intend to uprade it to at least 512 MB of RAM then I will give it a go. I'll report back on my success/failure once I have everything configured.

As for filesystem, any other votes for reiserfs? This seems to be the default filesystem for SuSE. Does it have any file-size limitation similar to FAT32?

Thanks all for the feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.