AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I have used it as a stable reference for checking meters in my lab over the years. My methodology is as follows: set up in a light controlled environment with no colored surfaces nearby, 15 minute warm up to stabilize the phosphors, then measure the illumination bouncing off of a true neutral gray reference (Munsell notation or photo gray card).

Testing has been performed with several samples of several types of meters, and several samples of the light, by several technicians and companies, over the last nine years. Very consistent results have been noted, all within +/- 0.005 x/y from CIE D65, or better.

There are others on the forum who have used this product and may yet comment. I know the folks at SpectraCal use the lamp as a reference. Our product includes color correction film to improve the white point accuracy of the lamp. There are PDF downloads on our site from our lab and GretagMacbeth's that document the spectral performance of several samples.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the Ideal-Lume Standard attached to the back my 50" plasma.

I applied quite a bit of electrical tape to the cover that goes around the bulb to allow even less light through. The filter inside does a terrible job on its own.

Also, the double-sided sticky velcro tape will NOT hold the product up for more than 48 hours. I had to apply additional tape for that too, lol.

All in all though, I really do like the Ideal-Lume Standard. It provides just a little bit of light all around the backside of my television. Staring at a 50" plasma with no backlighting before was just too much for me, and the little bit of backlighting now makes it much easier on the eyes.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/15484422

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

Do you seriously work for CinemaQuest, Inc.? If so, I just want to inform you:

1) Your website is fugly.

2) Your double-sided sticky velcro tape is worthless.

3) The filter inside the Ideal-Lume Standard (IL-01) is absolutely ridiculous. It gives you the option to shine your light up, or down, and that's it.

You guys have NO competition whatsoever in backlighting, but that doesn't give you an excuse to slack. I would appreciate it if you made your products better, and at least take my three complaints into consideration. I have gotten two of my closest home theater enthusiasts to also buy Ideal-Lume Standards, and they both agree with all three points I made.

Thanks,

Ideal-Lume Standard (IL-01) Owner,

moshock

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I'm not impressed with your powers of observation or your judgement thus far. You are off topic and in the wrong thread. There is a "sticky" thread at the top of this section of the forum dedicated to bias lighting in general. Please do us both a favor and consider returning your product for a full refund. If you are so digruntled as to feel you have to take your complaints to a public forum before even giving us the minimal courtesy of responding to your concerns directly, our business relationship is not healthy for either of us.

We have thousands of satisfied customers all over the world. I don't presume to think we can please everyone. You are far from pleased and know much better than I what will meet your needs. Return the product for a full refund, including the shipping both ways.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot, but I am entitled to my opinion. You can act like the bigger man all you want, but I would be willing to bet you would agree with me on all three points I made. You have easy areas for improvement. Don't make a customer look unsatisfied when he's not. As you would say it, Do us both a favor and learn to accept criticism.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, George.

I'm pretty sure I'll invest in a Ideal-Lume Pro lamp, so that I can check for possible meter drift once in a while.

Will it be possible tomeasure luminance directly, or is illuminace the "only way" ? If so, any recommendations on a gray reference? Munsell ?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/15484422

I have used it as a stable reference for checking meters in my lab over the years. My methodology is as follows: set up in a light controlled environment with no colored surfaces nearby, 15 minute warm up to stabilize the phosphors, then measure the illumination bouncing off of a true neutral gray reference (Munsell notation or photo gray card).

Testing has been performed with several samples of several types of meters, and several samples of the light, by several technicians and companies, over the last nine years. Very consistent results have been noted, all within +/- 0.005 x/y from CIE D65, or better.

There are others on the forum who have used this product and may yet comment. I know the folks at SpectraCal use the lamp as a reference. Our product includes color correction film to improve the white point accuracy of the lamp. There are PDF downloads on our site from our lab and GretagMacbeth's that document the spectral performance of several samples.

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Will it be possible tomeasure luminance directly, or is illuminace the "only way"?

It depends on the type of meter, whether it can read the lamp directly. Try both ways.
Quote:
any recommendations on a gray reference? Munsell ?

Use a Kodak 18% Gray Card or equivalent photo gray card. Any Munsell neutral value reference sheet would work. They are available in 8.5 inch by 11 inch sheets but are more expensive than photo gray cards. You should be able to find a source in Europe for such solutions.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:

3) The filter inside the Ideal-Lume Standard (IL-01) is absolutely ridiculous. It gives you the option to shine your light up, or down, and that's it.

You guys have NO competition whatsoever in backlighting, but that doesn't give you an excuse to slack.

You bought a product I manufacture. Sending someone money doesn't entitle you to treat them like your ***** or your whore in public. You are rude, narcissistic, obnoxious, and still off topic.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbjornk /forum/post/15488159

Thank you, George.

I'm pretty sure I'll invest in a Ideal-Lume Pro lamp, so that I can check for possible meter drift once in a while.

Will it be possible tomeasure luminance directly, or is illuminace the "only way" ? If so, any recommendations on a gray reference? Munsell ?

Thanks,

The truly proper way would be an White Fluorilon Reflectance Standard Calibrated, Traceable to NRC. Its what I use to measure light in TV Studios so TVs on the set can be calibrated exactly to the proper temp and not roughly guestimated to 3200K.

As it will be traceable to NRC, you would also receive a graph of the Reflectance Factor at each nm Wavelength to prove the response is as flat as it should be and the Instrument used to conduct the test (a Perkin-Elmer Lamba-9/19 UV-Vis-NIR Spectrometer was used for mine).

When measuring the Ideal Lume off this, you should have an exact reading of what temp the bulb is producing.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/15496572

You bought a product I manufacture. Sending someone money doesn't entitle you to treat them like your ***** or your whore in public. You are rude, narcissistic, obnoxious, and still off topic.

WOW! I can't believe how unprofessional you are. I have been looking into adding one to my tv, now I know I will NOT buy anything from you! Rarely have I seen poorer customer service/public relations than that.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It takes all kinds of people to make a world. Isn't America wonderful, that we can choose to do business with whomever we choose! Have a wonderful day!

P.S. Actually, I was going more for eloquence than professionalism.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock /forum/post/15487262

You guys have NO competition whatsoever in backlighting, but that doesn't give you an excuse to slack. I would appreciate it if you made your products better, and at least take my three complaints into consideration. I have gotten two of my closest home theater enthusiasts to also buy Ideal-Lume Standards, and they both agree with all three points I made.

Thanks,

Ideal-Lume Standard (IL-01) Owner,

moshock

While points 2 and 3 may be vaild, your 1st comment is subjective and unecessary. It's obvious by your choice of words, that you are not choosing to constructively criticize. You are choosing to ambush and attack the integrity of a product.
I think it's fine to point out the faults you see in a product. In fact, I fully appreciate it when consumers do that, as it helps my buying decision, as I am considering a product like this. I can certainly understand the owner's response in this case.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger481VS /forum/post/15668122

While points 2 and 3 may be vaild, your 1st comment is subjective and unecessary.

Agreed.

I also agree with his points 2 and 3, however on point 3, at least its something, which is more than anyone else with bias lighting gives you. Thus one needs to decide do you want something that isn't the best (but a compromise) or nothing at all?

Try to get a bias lighting to 10% of the screen fL without something to dim the light output.

I am sure there is a better solution, but doubt its a $50 one.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
This thread was supposed to be about the Ideal-Lume Pro model. NIST likes it, Industrial Light and Magic has six, Electronic Arts likes it (x32), THX Ltd. likes it, the Metropolitan Museum of Art bought 34, Deluxe likes it, the ISF likes it, a long list of post production studios all over the world like it, etc., etc. Now we're back on topic. Can we stay there, please?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Count me as +2.

Who cares about the velcro they ship? I would have been happy receiving the product without velcro. I have my own supply of heavy duty velcro.

The filter works perfectly fine for its intended purpose in my opinion.

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 36" LCD TV which is mounted on the wall. The spacing bettern the back of the TV at the wall is about 5" apart.

Which is recomended way to mount the Standard Ideal-Lume on my tv?

a) lower bottom on the back of the tv, bulb facing upwards

or

b) in the middle of the backside LCD tv, bulb pointing at the wall.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolistik /forum/post/15756410

I have a 36" LCD TV which is mounted on the wall. The spacing bettern the back of the TV at the wall is about 5" apart.

Which is recomended way to mount the Standard Ideal-Lume on my tv?

a) lower bottom on the back of the tv, bulb facing upwards

or

b) in the middle of the backside LCD tv, bulb pointing at the wall.

As noted in the 2 previous post, this thread is for Ideal-Lume Pro, not standard.

You might want to ask in the Bias Lighting thread in the sticky topics above, as all mounting are very similar.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451527

If they were to answer you here, it would go against what they have previously requested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts