AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Ideal-Lume and I would like to let you guys know,I also bought rope light for comparison.

Here a set of rope lights on the back of my 2 speakers,as you can see it,they appeared yellow,like a candle light.

Now with a Ideal-Lume

As you can see makes a big difference.

Thanks George.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Interesting.

That orange yellow rope light would definitely affect the way we see colors on the screen. A calibrated TV image would be undone with that rope light.

regards

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizuca /forum/post/15579375

Just got my Ideal-Lume and I would like to let you guys know,I also bought rope light for comparison.

As you can see makes a big difference.

Similarly the Ideal-Lume lamp is likely to be notably less yellow than a typical 6500K fluorescent where some might expect a closer match.

In my case a Philips 6500K with a CRI of 79.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/15579616

Greetings

Interesting.

That orange yellow rope light would definitely affect the way we see colors on the screen. A calibrated TV image would be undone with that rope light.

regards

Interesting to know,so guys that want to go on the "cheap route" paid $400.00 for a calibration and undone with $10.00.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/15580087

Similarly the Ideal-Lume lamp is likely to be notably less yellow than a typical 6500K fluorescent where some might expect a closer match.

In my case a Philips 6500K with a CRI of 79.

Check out the Zoo Med Ultra Sun lamp, it is 6500K with CRI of 98. I got mine online for cheap, or you can try check if your local pet stores carry them.

Daniel

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm /forum/post/15598061

wow, that ideal lume looks great. Will that thing fit if the TV was mounted on the wall?

Yeah it does all you need to know HERE .

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness /forum/post/15597917

Check out the Zoo Med Ultra Sun

That might be a good choice for some folks although I think anyone who won't spring for a Ideal-Lume would be disinclined to spend that much on a bulb. I decided that dimming, light weight and quick-start was worth it (my old light was non-dimming, heavy and slow-starting). I'm sure it would have cost more to duplicate an I-L even though it looks a bit "low tech".

After having one for a few days I've decided that home-made solutions are penny-wise but pound-foolish.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/15600773

That might be a good choice for some folks although I think anyone who won't spring for a Ideal-Lume would be disinclined to spend that much on a bulb. I decided that dimming, light weight and quick-start was worth it (my old light was non-dimming, heavy and slow-starting). I'm sure it would have cost more to duplicate an I-L even though it looks a bit "low tech".

After having one for a few days I've decided that home-made solutions are penny-wise but pound-foolish.

That's right,after spending 2k-4k on a set,why go cheap on a $70.00 light ?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
question, does it matter what color the light is? Meaning, is white the best or would a soft earth tone color work. FWIW, my walls are a light amberish color.

·
Registered
707 Posts
dachness

Quote:
Check out the Zoo Med Ultra Sun lamp, it is 6500K with CRI of 98. I got mine online for cheap, or you can try check if your local pet stores carry them.

Daniel

Attached link for the 18" Zoo Med Ultra Sun Lamp for $20.86

http://www.wetpetsusa.com/zoomedflla182.html

24"
http://www.wetpetsusa.com/zoomedflla248.html

Here is a link to a White paper on D65 Fluorescent lighting.

http://www.gtilite.com/gti-pdf/CMTN-2.PDF

Source for D65 CIE Illuminant Fluorescent Lamps

http://www.rpimaging.com/store/PID666

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm /forum/post/15618020

question, does it matter what color the light is?

Does it matter to whom?

You might want to read through the bias lighting thread .

Full disclosure: I have an Ideal-Lume and I don't think DIY is a better solution.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Are those Indiglo Night Lights in your pics?

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
This thread started with a comparison (no doubt unfair) between a lamp selected for specific spectral characteristics around D65 and a set of likely incandescent mini-lamps. The results are not surprising. Now it seems to have taken a turn toward price comparisions for various lamps with the apparent sub-text of assisting the DIYer. This seems particularly odd given the price of some of the lamps. Why would someone buy two $35 bare lamps when for the same price you can get two appropriately sized lamps, a lightweight, instant-on, discrete fixture and a dimming system? The folks that complain about the price of Ideal-Lume want to pay $5 for two lamps and $15 for a fixture not $70 for two lamps.

Or am I missing the direction this conversation is taking?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
haha,

btw, love that last pic in post 1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get those wire hooks that're holding up the light in the photos posted by the topic creator? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts