AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been through four different mini-ITX cases in recent years, two by Lian Li, as I got bored of their aesthetics shortly after purchase.

Has anyone here felt the same about PC cases in general? Can those who care a lot about the looks of their PC truly be happy with a case for a lengthy period of time?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
For me, its only slightly about looks. RGB stuff is not for me. Windows are a no, but I have at least 3 cases with windows because they are unavoidable. Function is my priority. I have 2 lian li cases, 1 still in use. The other will be back in business when I get rid of my super-extra-way-too long 980ti. My current case is a caselabs that is way too big, its server size. I planned on doing water cooling, would be my first, but i got dismayed at all the work involved. Especially when it comes to emptying a loop in a case that size? No thanks. My watercooling will be in a small case.

I'm digging some of inwins special cases. I might get one someday.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, its only slightly about looks. RGB stuff is not for me. Windows are a no, but I have at least 3 cases with windows because they are unavoidable. Function is my priority. I have 2 lian li cases, 1 still in use. The other will be back in business when I get rid of my super-extra-way-too long 980ti. My current case is a caselabs that is way too big, its server size. I planned on doing water cooling, would be my first, but i got dismayed at all the work involved. Especially when it comes to emptying a loop in a case that size? No thanks. My watercooling will be in a small case.

I'm digging some of inwins special cases. I might get one someday.
I owned a Caselabs ATX case years ago and also found it much too large after being satisfied with it for all but three months. The InWin cases look nice and I was very close to buying the A1.

As much as I dislike Apple, I think the particular silver look of their Mac products is something I can enjoy for a long time. Never got tired of the looks of my Apple-styled OWC products, or my Apple-styled DAC and Amp by SMSL. And on that note, the silver Jonsbo UMX1 Plus case without window looks tempting, for now.

I agree about custom water cooling. Not worth the hassle when you can just slap on an AIO or huge Noctua heatsink and call it a day.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, alright, alright. Ended up getting the Jonsbo UMX3 Micro-ATX case for an expensive $200 including shipping. I better like this a lot, or it will be one costly waste.

A Corsair H80i v2 to cool the Intel 9600K should mount nicely at the rear of the case in a push-pull exhaust configuration, with a 140mm fan at the top for intake.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've never built a machine smaller than mid size. I feel like I would be too limited. I always want space for at least 3 big hdd plus whatever ssd drives. Newegg keeps putting up sales for those cheap intel nvme drives. The 2tb drive is really tempting.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never built a machine smaller than mid size. I feel like I would be too limited. I always want space for at least 3 big hdd plus whatever ssd drives. Newegg keeps putting up sales for those cheap intel nvme drives. The 2tb drive is really tempting.
Those Intel QLC drives are great. No need to have anything faster for gaming.

Some small cases can be decently accommodating for internal storage. I have no use for internal HDD bays for my upcoming Micro-ATX build as I will rely on M.2 SSDs and an external enclosure.

512GB and 2TB NVMe M.2 drives on the motherboard
2TB NVMe and 2TB SATA M.2 drives on a PCI-e adapter card
Two 2TB 2.5" SATA SSDs in a USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosure

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the new PC built and running. Cable management in the new case was a pain in the arse, but ultimately worth it. An SFX power supply would have made things a lot easier.

One legitimate complaint against the Epic Games platform is that, unlike Steam and Origin, you have to re-download games as there is apparently no discovery of existing files. That alone would make me go to Steam for games not exclusive to Epic.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've been looking at SFF cases to make a new build. This caselabs monstrosity is nice to work inside, but it's just not worth the space.

I'm heavily favoring this one here.

http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sm580/

Reactions: NewAger

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I officially have a problem. I already got tired of the Jonsbo and transplanted my PC into a black Corsair 280X. I don't know what it is about PC cases that makes me so indecisive. I was even like this in the days when hardly anybody thought beyond beige.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That Corsair 280X looks like a nice case. I really like the Corsair Air 540 and would buy it today if it were smaller.

Right now I am wanting to transplant my mATX rig into this case, Thermaltake P3:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Panoramic-Wall-Mount-CA-1G4-00M1WN-06/dp/B07BFGB8Z6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=thermaltake+p3&qid=1587075205&sr=8-2

If I was building new I'd go mini-itx and probably this case:
https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Era-Silver-Water-Cooling/dp/B08156BWLX/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=fractal+design+itx&qid=1587075343&sr=8-7

I'm currently using a Silverstone Grandia GD05 HTPC style case that started out almost a decade (and 3 builds) ago as strictly HTPC use but is now my daily driver. I like it because it sits horizontally in my AV rack next to my desk and looks like it belongs with other AV gear. It was a chore to shoehorn my GTX 970 in this case due to card height and the power connections at the card. The lid barely fits. But it fits. There's also zero cable management.

I've been wanting to switch it up to something different, and I like the Thermaltake P3 because you can configure it to be positioned horizontally or vertically.

I'm not big on the RGB led stuff, but my current mobo has some red led path lighting built into it and I think some subtle lighting would be cool with a tinted, tempered glass window.

Definitely not a fan of full or mid tower ATX cases. Surprisingly, there's not a ton of good cases out there, IMO. I see now finding one that looks good, supports a 5.25" drive bay, and isn't a behemoth is becoming even more of a rarity.

I like the looks of this case, but not sure I'd like the cube footprint:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Interchangeable-Computer-CA-1L2-00S1WN-00/dp/B07FDFZDDW/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=thermaltake+20vt&qid=1587076363&s=electronics&sr=1-1

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Surprisingly, there's not a ton of good cases out there, IMO.
Indeed. A lot of cases that look good aesthetically are disasters with regard to airflow, and many cases with good airflow look unpleasing or have too large of a footprint. It's tough to achieve a solid enough balance, made extra difficult due to the size of high-end graphics cards.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I've been upgrading my PC part by part for the last couple months, and through the process I've stuck everything in an ancient Antec 900 case. I think it's time to upgrade this part, too.
I would love to hear suggestions. My wishlist, in order of importance, is:

• quiet, above all else
  • low temps / good airflow
  • aesthetics (RGB?)

I should also add I have only moderate PC build experience, so build quality and ease of installation is a must. On the aesthetics point, the computer sits on the floor next to my TV, nobody really sees it, so looks are a fairly low priority in the grand scheme, but I've got to admit I'm lured to these builds with the RGB fan eye candy.
Budget is ~$150, but could go to $200 or a little over if RGB is included and build quality warrants the extra expense.
What are the best PC cases to consider? EDIT: forgot to mention I'm looking for an ATX mid-tower.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought myself a loque ghost case. When the next round of video cards come out im building a pc to go in it.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
I've been upgrading my PC part by part for the last couple months, and through the process I've stuck everything in an ancient Antec 900 case. I think it's time to upgrade this part, too.
I would love to hear suggestions. My wishlist, in order of importance, is:

• quiet, above all else
  • low temps / good airflow
  • aesthetics (RGB?)
I think I found my case: The Fractal Design R6. It checks most of the boxes, a silence-based case, and because it's a couple years old, it still has a place for my DVD burner, which I use to import audio CDs (I still buy them!). Even the hard-to-please Gamers Nexus begrudgingly gave it adequate marks for airflow, considering it's marketed as a quiet-based case. I went with Gunmetal with tempered glass. No RGB, but I guess I can install that if the need arises, which I'm not even sure if I'm big on that anymore.
Should be here next weekend -- I hope the parts transplant goes smoothly!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I found my case: The Fractal Design R6. It checks most of the boxes, a silence-based case, and because it's a couple years old, it still has a place for my DVD burner, which I use to import audio CDs (I still buy them!). Even the hard-to-please Gamers Nexus begrudgingly gave it adequate marks for airflow, considering it's marketed as a quiet-based case. I went with Gunmetal with tempered glass. No RGB, but I guess I can install that if the need arises, which I'm not even sure if I'm big on that anymore.
If Steve at Gamers Nexus doesn't hate it, then it must be amazing. If that guy won a $50,000 cash prize, he would find several faults with said transaction.

I was going to recommend the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition if RGB is your thing.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
If Steve at Gamers Nexus doesn't hate it, then it must be amazing. If that guy won a $50,000 cash prize, he would find several faults with said transaction.

I was going to recommend the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer Edition if RGB is your thing.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Steven is amusing - very hard to please, and he takes great offense at bad marketing. Still, he definitely knows his stuff and has earned his high reputation.
The PC-011 was high on the list, but it has a lot more glass, and I'm absolutely terrible with cable management. Seriously, my current case has no behind-the-motherboard or basement area, therefore the bottom looks like a plate of spaghetti. Also, the R6 comes with 3 fans and a SATA-powered hub for with a PWM connection for the motherboard if more fans if needed.
For this transfer I've made a vow to try to tie things better, but this case still has a lot of hidden room in the basement and behind the motherboard; both areas are closed off and not visible, so my lack of neatness shouldn't be a problem. Plus, the R6 has noise-dampening front, top, and back panels, which was a priority for me. If I run into thermal issues, the top plate can be removed and there's still vents and brackets that can hold addition silent fans for upward exhaust, or downward airflow. And if I ever get the nerve to try an AIO, various sizes of radiators can fit on this top, or in the front, or even on the bottom. But right now I'm sticking with air-cooled CPU.
If I get bit by the RGB bug down the road, I might install a bottom inside strip and maybe replace the back and CPU cooling fans with RGB. But no one sees this PC except me, and it's pretty much out of sight anyway, so I'm not sure if there's even a reason for this.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
With this new power supply from seasonic with the connection bar. I was thinking, case makers should implement the power connections within a case. I know it would probably be a nightmare with all the different connections from different makers. But, if it was a standardized connection like the motherboard end. You could have a small cable section, like they make sleeved extensions, connect it to the case. Then the power supply end has it's own section. Cable mess would be a lot cleaner.

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is crazy, but I already have my eye on yet another case. This time it's the upcoming Lian Li O11D Mini. I wonder how long before I get bored with that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts