AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting to the point in my house build where I am looking to buy all of the AV/HA components and I am unsure about which screen I should buy for my Home theater.

This will be in a sound proofed room, no windows, rope lighting and approximately 14' by 16'.

I will be buying either a Sony VW60 or Benq 10000 and after reading the sizing specs for the distance from projector to wall I think I am looking at about an 8' screen.

This room will not be used for anything else so I can have a fixed screen and the receiver/amp will be under the screen, not behind it.

So, I guess what I am asking is which is the best screen for my apllication?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOverseas /forum/post/12953331

This room will not be used for anything else so I can have a fixed screen and the receiver/amp will be under the screen, not behind it.

Why do you want to put the equipment UNDER the screen? Can you instead orient the room more like a commercial theater, w/all equipment, including PJ, in a back wall w/access to the wiring from the other side?

Best screen? Dunno, but a fixed screen with masking curtains is what most here try to do, and the fewer electronics on the wall with the screen the better if you can possibly do it that way.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/12953916

Why do you want to put the equipment UNDER the screen? Can you instead orient the room more like a commercial theater, w/all equipment, including PJ, in a back wall w/access to the wiring from the other side?

Best screen? Dunno, but a fixed screen with masking curtains is what most here try to do, and the fewer electronics on the wall with the screen the better if you can possibly do it that way.

In the "what would you do differently" thread on this site, that's the thing I said I'd do differently - put the equipment in the back of the room instead of under the screen.

You can learn to ignore the equipment in front - but why should you have to? Seriously - reconsider and try to move the equipment if you can.

As far as what screen, the HiPower is very popular on this forum for a reason. It's a great screen at a really decent price. Many folks that use it as a fixed screen still buy a pull-down and cut the fabric out (cheaper than buying a fixed from dalite).

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a similar sized room and use a 100" Da-Lite Cinema Contour High Power fixed frame screen, which I like a lot. My equipment is on the side of the room. This leaves space for the center channel speaker under the screen without forcing the screen to be placed too high. My PJ is pedestal mounted at eye level and shoots across a small table between the two main viewing seats. This gives me a screen gain of about 2.0 for both seats, allowing me to operate the lamp in low-power mode to extend the lamp life and reduce the fan noise. The room is my living/family room as well, so it is used for many different functions besides HT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, maybe I should clarify a bit more before I say I put it all under the screen.

The "only" component that will be going there is the receiver and it is where it is because the room has 2 tiered level of seats at the back (opposite the screen of course), the left hand wall has the door and there is really not that much room on the right hand wall.

I have an Audio Authority AVATrix HD Matrix Switcher on it's way so no video "source" in the room (all components apart from the Media Room receiver are in a seperate room in the house) with an optical drop down from the PJ to the receiver for sound.

I think I am going to use a good quality Denon for the receiver and they have the ability to dim or black out the displays do they not so, there should be no discernable light "pollution"?

Should be plenty of space for the center channel speaker and the receiver to coexist so hopefully not too many problems there.

I take it the Hi Power can be mounted directly to the wall?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOverseas /forum/post/12963827

I take it the Hi Power can be mounted directly to the wall?

Yes, and you can view the installation instructions on the Da-Lite website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts