AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a rule of thumb for ideal seat distance from screen based on the screen width, in this case 12 foot wide 2.35:1 CH and a JVC RS-1 1080p projector? Thanks

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Mark,

I believe THX has a recommendation and SMPTE does as well. I know the THX spec suggests sitting closer than the SMPTE. Sorry no links.

YOu are going to laugh.

REcall our conversation on the phone today regardinmg Generators.

Well, my first patient of the morning and I got talking about the power outages in our neck of the woods and he told me he had a generator. I asked him what size and what size house as a reference (mind you I have treated this fellow a few times before). Well, to make a long story short, his business is midwest and southern generator distributorships. So, I asked him about the the 25kW Generac (he uses a 30KW Generac on his 10K sq ft home) and he said the size is right and it should last forever (he carries all brands). So, he's gong to sell me one at his cost

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Mark,

You should be able to do as close as 1:1 at that point. Resolution will be fine, shouldn't have any pixels obvious and the screen shouldn't be too wide. 15' is safe. 18' is a waste of the resolution, screen width for the most part. If you're doing multiple rows, I'd definitely put the first one at or near 12' from the screen.

·
Registered
29,490 Posts
Mark,

Try this viewing distance calculator for THX and SMPTE seating distances.

For a 12 foot wide screen: THX recommends between 18.5 and 26 feet, SMPTE recommends 22.4 feet. Based on visual acuity: 21.6 feet for HDTV (1080x1920), 57.6 feet for NTSC (480x720).

Sanjay

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Perhaps, Sanjay, but this is a 2.35:1 screen. That means much material is only going to be about 7'-9' wide. I wouldn't go an *inch* over 18' away, but really? I'd be at more like 15'. 12' may be pushing the limits, but for 2.35:1, I don't think that's *too* close if you're into the big movie effect. IOW, if you do 18', you're at the same 1.5:1 ratio I'm at with a 16:9 screen and half the resolution. I think those figures are *very* conservative.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,

the screen is 12 foot wide at 2.35:1 AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/0

Perhaps, Sanjay, but this is a 2.35:1 screen. That means much material is only going to be about 7'-9' wide. I wouldn't go an *inch* over 18' away, but really? I'd be at more like 15'. 12' may be pushing the limits, but for 2.35:1, I don't think that's *too* close if you're into the big movie effect. IOW, if you do 18', you're at the same 1.5:1 ratio I'm at with a 16:9 screen and half the resolution. I think those figures are *very* conservative.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnstein /forum/post/0

John,

the screen is 12 foot wide at 2.35:1 AR

I understand, that's why I think no more than 15' is the right distance for the first row.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts