Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

A large portion of my dvd collection consists of anime dvds made in someone's apartment in China and acquired only through ebay. On set top dvd players, the picture is ideal, and looks as good as any other dvd: really sharp and crisp. But when I play it on my dvd-rom, with Windvd, Powerdvd, Cinmaster, or ATI MMC 8.4, the video is quite muddy and pixelated, and there is consistent distortion at the bottom. My computer has a gig of ram, a 128 meg mobility radeon 9000, and a 2.8 ghz processor, so I doubt that the problem is hardware limitation.

This is probably due to poor encoding, which dvd players seem to handle better than most software. Now I know that I probably can't make it look *exactly* as good as on a tv, but I think it could do better. Is there some type of codec/decoder/player or other combination that offers the best deinterlacing and decoding for these types of dvds? That would really just make my day.

Thank you

·
Registered
779 Posts
What kind of Television do you have, and how are you connecting your HTPC to your television?

Have you done a comprehensive comparison of studio created DVD's between your player and computer?

If you are just playing the DVD on your computer screen vs. your television, you are going to see the limitations of the source material.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not so much about the display as much as it is the device that decodes it. My friend can play those dvds without flaw on his 700 mhz destop with a 32 meg Geforce card, and he doesn't even notice it because he only plays games on it. That's why I'm looking for a software solution. Is mobility Radeon just not cut out for dvd decoding, or what?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sayuka, try this experiment: Trade DVD-ROM drives with your friend and see who's system still plays these DVDs w/o flaw. After much tweaking, I discovered that upgrading my DVD-ROM to a Pioneer 120s solved all my stutter, DVD quality problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
of course bootleg chinese dvd's look good on a TV, analogue tv's blur the picture up real nice and overscan so you can't see the errors.

i wouldn't invest much in this, since you do buy bootlegs, quality isn't your top priority. either buy a crappy TV to connect to, or buy better anime dvd's that don't look crappy on your laptop.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Logic would indicate that since a PC with good software (WinDVD or better) can make a well-encoded DVD look superb, the reason that your bootleg DVDs do not look superb is that you are seeing the flaws in the encoding.

To solve the problemsn, you could try reducing the brightness (e.g. reduce iitfrom 5000 to 4300) and increasing the gamma (e.g. change it from from 100 to 150) - these figures using Zoom Player's numbers. This can help with a bootleg DVD where the black level is set too high and there is not enough shadow detail, e.g. a certain Star Wars: ANH DVD.

If the disks are too blurry, try using ffdshow with one of its sharpening filters. Alternatively, try sitting further back from your screen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.