AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this thread under theater room and accessories but perhaps this is the better place to ask. I'm currently looking into tablets as a means of controlling all my smart devices in my home theater. Currently, I'm using my Samsung Galaxy 8 smartphone to achieve this, however I need something with a larger screen that will be fully dedicated to the theater. So far it looks like Android will be the platform of choice. Finish needs to be in black. I'm looking for a tablet that has great Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities. Holds up very well. Can maintain a good charge while connected into a power source. And replace all my remotes while function as a keyboard as well. There is a lot of information out there regarding this subject matter. Unfortunately, many are outdated or leave me with more questions than answers.

My general questions are....

1) What size is ideal or convenient to work with? Sizes I'm currently interested in fall between 8" to 10.5".

2) Brand of choice? Fire HD has come up a few times in prior discussions.

3) How cheap is too cheap? I would love to stay under $200 if at all possible.

4) Is there any reason I haven't thought of yet I would need extra storage space or a microSD card reader built in? Many of the tablets I've come across start at 32 GB.

Some of the smart devices I am currently or plan on using in the near future are....

Spectrum - Cable/internet provider
Alexa
Logitech Harmony
Lutron - lighting & power solutions
Denon - AVR
Epson - projector
Panasonic - Blu ray player
SVS - subs
Streaming services - Netflix, Disney+, Discovery+, Amazon Prime Video, Youtube
Roku
Plex
Honeywell or Google Nest - thermostat control (haven't purchased yet)
Ring - home security
HTPC - media storage solutions

·
Registered
883 Posts
The choice is basically between apple and droid

Then you can go from there. If you want something cheaper go droid. Just find the best value, they should all work very similarly

Don't go too cheap, you don't want your "remote" for your whole house lagging on you. If you're not going to watch any video on it just about anything should do tho.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for all your advice. I'll look into the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4" Tablet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Came across this video worth sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts