AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about William's technique to move the projector closer than the manufacturer's spec to improve the image. I was considering doing this. I have a D50 and an 80x45 16:9 screen. Does anyone have a similar set-up or know the approximate ideal throw distance for my projector and screen. Also, I am using rear projection instead of front, but I do not think this should effect throw distance.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I believe William's throw distance calculation for the G90 on a 16:9 screen is 1.255 times the width. I don't know if this holds for the G70 or D50, though.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The best thing to do is experiment with the projector on a cart or table that you can move. A D50 cannot be pushed as far as a G90, it doesn't have the optics and magnetics. Still, the basic idea is that with a 4x3 image the actual image on the crt phosphor is wider, due to the trapezoid shape, so if you have a 16x9 screen you can expand the image width to where it was with the 4x3 image with no risk at all. And since the image is shorter and further from the corners of the lens and extremes of the deflection yoke, you can go a little further beyond this.

William

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.