AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
DMan's exactly right. No less than Sam Runco himself says so in this month's Widescreen Review magazine interview with him.

What I find interesting about this is that it has often been stated here that the prime viewing chair is effectively right where the projector is mounted, hence you should ceiling mount your CRT to avoid having it occupy the sweet spot.

But if Runco is correct, then the best seat is actually behind the projector in most cases. So, ceiling mounting your CRT is no longer imperative for the best viewing experience (leaving aside considerations of projection angle which can adversely effect the brightness perceived by the viewer when a projector is floor-mounted and, of course, the deleterious sonic effect of a big projector and its inevitably reflective surfaces sitting in the middle of your listening area).

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The ideal seating distance is where the picture looks best to you . Don't rely on Sam Runco or anyone else tell you where that is.

I mean, really. Is it that hard to move a folding chair around the room a little to see where the picture looks best?

Joe

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Joe,

Thanks for those words of wisdom. Unfortunately, a lot of folks that are planning to build a Home Theater room in their home do not have the ability to mount and setup their equipment prior to building second or even third row platforms in order to find the "optimum" viewing distance.

As you mentioned, "The ideal seating distance is where the picture looks best to you". Sure, I agree with that, but you need a starting point to base your screen size on your room dimensions as well as your seating distance for your screen's dimensions.

The original poster asked what the "ideal" seating distance is for a Runco CRT projector. I stand behind the numbers I gave him. Glad to hear Mr. Runco agrees.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Dman,

Here's some more words of wisdom.

"He who constructs his theater without using his own eyes and ears is a fool".

And who are these "folks" that don't know how to temporarily set up a PJ and screen to check ideal seating distance. I'll tell them how if they ask.:)

In all seriousness. These are important things that absolutely should be done before commiting to final construction. It might be very expensive to find out after the fact that your tastes are different than Sam's.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Jamoka:

Be nice to DMan...he is wise in the ways of HT.

Edgar asked a valid question--the correct answer (the one I dare think he expected) was NOT "where the picture looks best to you." I'm guessing that Edgar wanted a sanity check to ensure that he wasn't about to do something wrong in his HT, e.g., assume he could handle 3 rows of seating when he can really only accomodate 2, etc.

Actually, there has been a LOT of detailed studies on "ideal" seating distances...both for NTSC and for ATSC video. And yes, there are guidelines--and guidelines help people establish boundaries. Without boundaries, people can get lost in the details, not knowing where to start. I think the ATSC experiments concluded that the "optimal" viewing distance was the screen diagonal divided by 0.619...much closer, and you risk optical fatigue; much further back and you risk missing some of the peripheral experience that makes HT so fun.

A 103" diagonal screen (assuming 16:9) is 90" wide x 50" tall. Distance guidelines are usually based on picture width (as DMan noted) or picture height. Suffice it to say, your eyeballs should probably be some where between 12-14' from the screen. Again, just a guideline--your mileage may vary, but probably not too much. The 0.619 guideline puts you at 13.9' feet back on your screen. Again, these are guidelines, not rules. In reality, you're going to have to compromise--HDTV might look great at 12', but NTSC/DVD may look better at 14' or even 15'.

And as long as we're on the subject...don't forget to factor in the audio portion of the picture. Depending upon your room, your screen and your PJ, you're "optimal" viewing distance might be in a really bad location from an audio perspective (e.g., lots of peaks or nulls). Great video + horrible audio = Bad HT experience. For example, if you're "optimal" viewing distance just happens to put you in the middle of the length of the room (1/2 back), you're in for some sorry sounding acoustics. Better to sit at 3/5 back or 4/7 back, even if that puts you +/- a few feet from your "ideal" seating position video-wise.

As an aside, if you had asked this question over in the digital projector forum, you would have gotten a very different response--most of those guys subscribe to the bigger is better philosophy for screens, and they seem to sit about 1 width away. Way too close! Kind of like sitting in the first row of the movie theater--sure, it may seem cool (and it may even seem like the "optimal" viewing distance at first), but you'll get fatigued too easily. Watching a movie in your HT isn't supposed to hurt, last time I checked...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sorry.

When he asked "about the ideal viewing distance", I thought he was asking about the ideal viewing distance. Should have known he was really interested in how many rows of seats to install. My bad.

How many rows of seats does Sam say to install?

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Joe:

I love a caustic wit, except when other people have one.

I think Edgar is better served with DMan's answer (and maybe even mine) than by yours. Yes, you answered his question, but with a worthless platitude. If someone asks what's a good wine to serve with Mahi Mahi, answering "whatever tastes best to you" isn't really helping...it assumes that they have tasted many wines and can make an informed decision, vs. just grabbing something off the store shelf and giving it a go, possibly wasting a lot of money in the process.

The point of asking for suggestions, recommendations, guidelines, etc. is to help one narrow down a possibly infinite array of options to something more digestable. With a reasonable set of options (e.g., a list of excellent chardonnays for under $15, or in this case, a generally accepted range of seating distances given a specific screen size/shape), a person can then decide with little effort what suits him/her best and make the right decision.

Again, I *do* think that Edgar is asking this question for a valid reason--one more valid than eliciting smartass responses from the Peanut Gallery. If he's building a theater, the "optimal" viewing distance will impact a whole hell of a lot of construction issues--including the number of rows of seats that can be accomodated, where to start the rear seating platform, where to put side/rear speakers, etc. Unless this is too complex a construct for you, the "optimal" viewing distance implies the "optimal" seating distance, which implies the location of the first row of seats, which implies the location (if plausible) of the second row of seats, etc. This is what we call a "driving" variable--the answer to Edgar's question is going to (hopefully) dictate what his theater layout looks like. Smart people design their theaters based on reasonable assumptions concerning video and acoustic properties before they build them willy nilly--they then tweak them.

P.S. I don't know what Sam recommends for optimal rows of seating, but I'm pretty sure that he recommends that trolls avoid this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
You mean you actually convinced someone to marry you?!?

No, I do not dine at Red Lobster, but thanks for asking. For what it's worth, "Mahi Mahi" is a commonly accepted alternate name for the Dolphin Fish (aka Dorado); it is also acceptable to use the singluar "Mahi." Knowing the type of person you are, I thought it best to go with Mahi Mahi so as not to overly confuse you. Perhaps the Gorton's fishstick definition is suitable for you:

http://www.gortons.com/cookbook/gl_ha_ma.html#mahi_mahi

In the future, I would really prefer that you keep to your bridges to avoid any unnecessary contact with civilization. With any luck, this thread will be closed so I won't have to stay up all night anxiously awaiting another example of your most excellent wit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
>>And who are these "folks" that don't know how to temporarily set up a PJ and screen to check ideal seating distance. I'll tell them how if they ask.

People like me that are too busy to mess with all that. I'd like to make very close estimates on good general data like the above, order the parts, call the installer and be done.

I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to order the projecter and scoot it around the room for a week, projecting it on a blank wall. I'm fairly certain that using data like the above, as well as talking to my dealer about room size will suffice.

But I'm also the kind of person that will buy a DWIN 700 off the net going only from the feedback I read here - with never having seen the unit in action.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You are obviously a man of action, George. Scooting a projector around the room for a week would make me cranky too. Most people though, would just point the PJ toward the center of the screen. Then you could scoot a chair around the room instead of the projector. The advantage being the chair is easier to scoot.

But, as you say, your dealer is probably the best one to advise you what to do.

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
Edger,

I'm going to throw in my two cents and my scientific study of one (and I know that the sample size is too small to pass any statistical significance) ! I'm presently using three rows of seating with the middle row under the projector. The front row is about five feet in front of that and the back row five feet behind. I'm using a 107" wide 16x9 screen and stacked Runco 980ultras. At first I used the middle row since this is the sonic sweet spot. When I would give guests the Matrix bullet time surround demo I would have them use the middle row and my wife and I would take the front row. It didn't take very long till the middle row seemed to lose a lot in immersion potential. Now I always sit in the front row( about ten feet back). A 992 will do better than a 980u so if you have a good source and set up you should consider this in your mix. I know that this is close but HD or good scaled DVD looks great at just over one screen diagonal away. I honestly set the room up with the idea that about 15 feet back would be optimal and those closer and further back were on their own but for me I've found this not to be the case.

Art

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
"Played him like a violin..."

jamoka,

Your rude, sarcastic responses to DMan, GeorgeB3DR, and amillians, were offensive, unnecessary, and unprofitable for the rest of us reading and contributing to this thread. By inadvertently exposing yourself in this way, in the end the only person played was you.

This is a serious, usually POLITE, forum. Please take your exhibitions of your dull wit elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
As an aside, if you had asked this question over in the digital projector forum, you would have gotten a very different response--most of those guys subscribe to the bigger is better philosophy for screens, and they seem to sit about 1 width away. Way too close!
No, I don't sit 1 width away. I sit 1.2 width away which is 6.5' froma 5.5' wide screen from a NEC XG85. I hate the topic. Just pick one distance you like.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reply to original thread. Everybody go to theater and everybody know which row , he or she like to seat to view the movie.

My friend like to seat at the 2 first row and I hate that. I always choose place in the middle or farther. I think Edgar know the distance he like . Me , my ideal distance is 3 times the screen width (43x76).

Tien.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Check out some other posts by our friend jamoka:

Time for a big ol' group hug now.

Jeez. This is pathetic.

------------------

currahee

Better check your math, KFung.

"There are two to four new facts in the world."

You're no fun anymore.

"There are two to four new facts in the world."

Bill [Bill Lucas] is dead wrong. Get yourself a screen with gain of 2 or so, darken the room, and you will be fine.

------------------

currahee

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.