AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Ideas for a weird 5.1 upgrade?

869 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Starguard
So, I am about to purchase a (relatively) nice turntable/pre-amp and I realized that I need to upgrade my sound system.

My current specs include Panasonic SA-XR55, Klipsch Synergy Quintet III and a Dayton 12".

I was thinking about just upgrading my L/R channels. Is this is a big "no-no" in the audio world? I watch movies, play video games, and now listen to vinyl (mainly progressive rock, like Yes and ELP).

I have $300 to spend now but I could wait and possibly have up to $500 for a pair.

I think I am asking for too versatile of a system...

When I play vinyls, I'd like for the sound to fill the entire room rather than be focused on a sitting area, but when I'm sitting on the couch playing video games or watching a movie, I'd like the sound to be focused and cohesive with surround sound.

I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Should I just buy a new receiver/pair of speakers and set up a new listening area?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Should I look into Loudspeakers? I have no idea. Keep in mind I am basically new to the audio world.
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is what makes some of these Micro systems so atttactive is the ability to integrate more speakers into the system and improve performace with a minimal investment.

You can add a pair for Synergy bookshelves as the new front left and right mains. The original quintet mains can be added as 7.1 rear channels ( your Panny is 7.1 capable) with a minimal investment of about $300. I would suggest upgrading the existing center channel to a larger member of the Synergy line to keep up with the added Bookshelves though. See the links for some options.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synerg...0444579&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synerg...0445118&sr=1-1

Nothing 'weird' about your needs except for the addition of LP playback. Vinyl is a great format and is often very revealing of the shortcomings of an audio system. Most inexpensive speakers don't live up to the expectations so be prepared for the possibility of a letdown in this regard.
See less See more
Loudspeaker is another term for speaker, and nearly every manufacturer calls them that.

You can add larger tower speakers to your current setup. Keep two of the Klipsch for surround duties and get a center channel speaker to match your new towers. You may find your current center speaker inadequate to match the new towers. At your pricepoint I would suggest these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290015

Or these:

http://shop4.frys.com/product/522368...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

They are fairly comparable sound quality wise and your Panasonic should have little problem driving either set. The Infinitys will cost a bit less but don't let that sway your judgement. Many on these forums have bought them and find them to be an excellent value even when they've paid $450 and more.
See less See more
Sweet, thanks for the responses guys. Will I still need to use my sub if I upgraded to two floor standing speakers?

Also, the 7.1 idea sounds great.

I am really looking into floor standing because I need the sound to fill a room quite easily. I would like to be able to clearly hear the music from anywhere in the room, basically.

Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguard /forum/post/15396256

Sweet, thanks for the responses guys. Will I still need to use my sub if I upgraded to two floor standing speakers?

Also, the 7.1 idea sounds great.

I am really looking into floor standing because I need the sound to fill a room quite easily. I would like to be able to clearly hear the music from anywhere in the room, basically.

Thank you again!

The only thing towers or floortanders will do above bookshelves/monitors is extend the bass response if a correct crossover point is chosen. If you don't have a wide enough soundstage, skip the floorstanders. They are far more placement limited and prone to early room reflections. The added bass response gets boomy or overemphasized when placed too close to a rear or side wall. BUT if you can place them about a foot out from the rear, 2ft from the sides with at least 7ft in between, they can really shine. Just be carefull as your price point is going to limit acoustic performance if you go this route.

Yes, you'll still want to use the sub either way, just crossed lower to match the LF cutoff of the towers.

My $500 would be on a front three upgrade with price vs performance bookshelf/monitor style speakers. If i had a grand and a bigger room it wouldbe a different story.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15396953

The only thing towers or floortanders will do above bookshelves/monitors is extend the bass response if a correct crossover point is chosen. If you don't have a wide enough soundstage, skip the floorstanders. They are far more placement limited and prone to early room reflections. The added bass response gets boomy or overemphasized when placed too close to a rear or side wall. BUT if you can place them about a foot out from the rear, 2ft from the sides with at least 7ft in between, they can really shine. Just be carefull as your price point is going to limit acoustic performance if you go this route.

Yes, you'll still want to use the sub either way, just crossed lower to match the LF cutoff of the towers.

My $500 would be on a front three upgrade with price vs performance bookshelf/monitor style speakers. If i had a grand and a bigger room it wouldbe a different story.

So Bookshelves are my best bet? The room is rather large. Thanks for the advice!
Ok, here is what I am seriously contemplating.

I think I want a separate package for my 2ch music. I play CDS, use my ipod, play Vinyl, and FLAC through my computer to my receiver, but my current setup is just too directional.

I keep stressing the fact that I'd like to fill the room with music. It's a lofty room with vaulted ceilings about 16x10.

What if I saved up and bought a minimalistic receiver, a sub and two l/r speakers? I really dig these

http://**********/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,37/

And while they're definitely out of my price range, there's plenty of time.

Thoughts?
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.