AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing quite a bit of searching have a few ideas but would like to hear from some people with experience. I do woodworking as a hobby so I have the tools and know how to use them, so building the enclosure isn't the problem, the designing part is.

1 Room size is 18 x 24 with cathedral ceilings from 8' to 12' at peak. One end open to dining/kitchen area.

2 Current AVR is a Denon 2310ci 5.1 setup with B/W 602 S3 fronts and center and Infinity bookshelf speakers in rear. Infinity 150w sub w/ 12" driver.

3 I'd like to spend about $400 not including material for the actual enclosure.

4 This will be used 80% for HT and 20% PS3 gaming with maybe a bit of music listening.

5 Size wise, If I could keep it maybe around 2' x 16" and 2' tall the wife would probably be "ok" with it.

I am really looking for something I can actually feel when I watch movies.

Thanks

Jerry

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Start with a budget then we can provide some help. That size box will probably be best with a sealed enclosure. You could do ported, but you will probably be limited to a higher tuning like your infinity.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Given your room size and stated goal, your budget or box limit is going to have to give. Massive output can be done on the cheap when you dont have size limits, smaller boxes require more money being thrown at them.

Here's something that will work fairly well, all else considered:

Dayton RSS315HO-4 12" Subwoofer $140
Dayton HPSA500 500W Subwoofer Amplifier $250

Build a box to the dimensions you stated (24x24x16) out of 3/4" material, place a 4" round by 20" long port along one of the 24" dimensions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could probably bend a bit on the size of the box. How big would I have to go to utilize a 15" sub? I could definately make it taller and incorportate it into a fake table somehow.

I don't want to go through the building process to only be disappointed. Considering what I have, anything will be an improvement though.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I dunno about everyone else, but a box that size should result in about 6cuft net after ports and bracing.....more than enough for a real thumper. $400 ain't to bad for a budget either. Using a high sensitivity driver makes the most of the budget. The dimensions lend themselves to a slot port design given the limited depth with a 20hz tune.

The Elemental Designs OV19 offers the biggest bang for the buck here with the 18" cone and highish sensitivity. Paired with 300watts from a Bash 300 the budget is fullfilled with a somewhat compact ported alignment with a gentle rolloff that should go well with room gain for a fairly flat response to 20hz....not bad for $400.

Why settle for 15" when you can have an 18" driver.....if i understood your dimensions....24" tall by 24" wide by 16" deep. If the depth and width are reversed, you are in fact limited to a 15" driver. The same applies with a high sensitivity 15" driver instead. Again the Elemental OV16 with it's high sensitivity is good for the budget.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/16975242

I dunno about everyone else, but a box that size should result in about 6cuft net after ports and bracing.....more than enough for a real thumper. $400 ain't to bad for a budget either. Using a high sensitivity driver makes the most of the budget. The dimensions lend themselves to a slot port design given the limited depth with a 20hz tune.

The Elemental Designs OV19 offers the biggest bang for the buck here with the 18" cone and highish sensitivity. Paired with 300watts from a Bash 300 the budget is fullfilled with a somewhat compact ported alignment with a gentle rolloff that should go well with room gain for a fairly flat response to 20hz....not bad for $400.

If you're referring to his original 24"x16"x24" dimensions, that's 4.2 ft3 before bracing/driver/ports

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsnasty /forum/post/16975801

I'd recommend the Oaudio BASH 500w amp. It's cheaper and is known to perform extremely well.

No good for ported though due to the undefeatable boost above the HP filter except when used for an LLT sub. (read large low tuned)

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/16973619

Start with a budget then we can provide some help. That size box will probably be best with a sealed enclosure. You could do ported, but you will probably be limited to a higher tuning like your infinity.

Alright, I'm stupid and didn't read the first post all the way through. The $400 slipped past me.

I have one of the eD 19ov.2 drivers and I like it for its cost. You could work with that in a sealed box that size, but for the size you're wanting you will only get a higher tune unless you didn't mind the port sticking out of the box. You'll need BARE MINIMUM a 6" port. I have an 8 and it works fine for me. The 6" port gave too much port air velocity when I modeled it.

I'd love you to have an 18" sub, but getting that sub and a 300 watt amp is like putting a smart car motor in a camaro. It won't perform anywhere close to it's potential and you may run into unwanted distortions with that little power playing loudly. Why not go with something tried and true. The shiva 12" is one of the best 12" drivers you can get and they're not horribly expensive. You could do that in a ported box and still get decent results, just probably not a horribly low tune. Try to work your way up on the box and it gets even better. With that sub I would recommend a HPF though. That's extra money. Below tuning frequency it will bottom out. I know, I've heard one do it. MJG100 brought his shiva to my GTG and it was one of the highest praised subs there. It's a bit larger than what you want, but if you look over in the commercially made sub area you'll see that some of the most recommended subs have bigger enclosures. There's a reason. Subs generally perform better in larger enclosures.

If you can step your budget up about another $200 you can get an EP2500 amp and that eD 18" sub and still have money left over for building a sealed sub in your size range. You'll have great output and will still have some decent depth too. And you won't need a HPF.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, great posts. Now I have another question.

If I can put this into the corner I can build it bigger. Does the sub need basic square dimensions or can I make some angle cuts and have it still sound the same.

I think I recall though that you don't want to put your sub in the corner as it can be to "boomy". Is that just a bad rumor?

As for budget, 400 is really my limit. As with anything if you keep adding you'll always be a bit better off. If I spend to much or make it to big I won't be able to enjoy my sub because I'll be out on the street with it and nowhere to plug it in.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I agree with brandonnash, in your $400 budget your best bet would probably be a Shiva 12" sub ported with a Oaudio 500w plate amp. You are still going to need about $200 more for a eq./filter and the sub materials. The Shiva sub has gotten good reviews and with a decent size enclousure, can probably be tuned as low as 20hz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts