AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I have went and gotten myself all worked up about pro amps. The Crown XLS 402 is rated at 450wt x 2 into 4 ohms !!! And it can be bought (or should I say, practically stolen) for $250 !

Now, I would consider the construction of a large, ported and tuned enclosure, easy, fun, and cheap...... Probably less than $100, even if it took two, full 4' x 8' sheets of 1" MDF.

Not sure what speakers to use, but these forums seem to be the best place on the planet, for those "best bang for the buck" suggestions :) I'm thinking about a couple of decent 18" 4ohm models....... but depending on price, availability, and of course sound, maybe four 15" 8ohm's.... Lets say a $200 speaker budget... maybe $250 for four 15's.

Finally, this sub setup would be used in conjunction with an "already complete" home theater, that even includes a 'little' 12" seperately powered sub, which I'm sure will provide plenty of mid-base, and even some good sub-base, right down to 30 Hz or so.

HOWEVER, the whole idea with building the enclosure I'm speaking of, is to be able to cross it over 'really low', say only grabbing 30Hz >and down
Which leads me to one more consideration..... How would I cross over my home built super-sub enclosure independantly, from the rest of the system ? (keeping it simple, and cheap)

Your thoughts, and suggestions please.... especially with the speakers, and the X-over....

Thank you,

Fish

PS, The other alternative (more expensive, and not as much fun.... but a better gaurantee of great sound) would be to get a couple of passive subwoofer enclosers from HSU or Velodyne, and hitting them with the Crown :) ......but I'd still need to be able to independantly cross them over from the rest of my home theater system.....

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Search the subwoofer forum and you'll probably find all the info you want.

If searching doesn't get you an answer, re-post in that forum for best results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.