AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone made a pullout equipment rack/shelving for their compoments?

My basement is almost finished and I want to put my equipment in a cabinet that slides out. Problem is I can't find any sliders that would be suitable for such a project. I've seen www.avrak.com but at $1000 it is WAY more than I'm prepared to spend. I've looked at sliders like www.accuride.com but nothing they have seems to fit the bill. I've also look at using a TV swivel from accuride which can support 250lbs however I'm still not sold on it. I'm running out of options and with my contractor nearly finished I'm scrambling to find an answer. If anyone has any suggestions at all, please email me at [email protected] or post here. I need to find a solution to this asap! Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've setled on a solution. I'm going to use this, a heavy duty TV

swivel:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

I'll build shelving out of wood ontop and then use this top extension

slide to secure the top:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

This will give me a total of 14" of extension and the ability to swivel

the rack around to get to the back of my components. I'm not 100% sure on

this as I haven't made it to the store to check out exactly what they have

but I think it's looking like my best bet so far.

I've looked at www.smarthome.com and they simply resell Middle Atlantic and Avrak/Avtrak by EAS. The Avtrak is $899 (US) which is kinda steep. I think the parts I've found should work and will come in WAAAAY cheaper than the Avtrak solution.

However if anyone comes up with anything I've overlooked please send it my way.

Paul

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Is 14 inches going to be enough? The tray that is on the rack that you are calling out is 16 x 16. My Denon receiver is 17.1" wide, 16.4" deep. If you can only slide it out 14", you would not be able to turn it unless the actual opening is much larger. You would have to have an opening that would be 20.5" just to be able to rotate the Denon, not including if you make an actual rack of equipment.

As the rack gets wider, the hole gets larger, since you have to be able to clear the wires as the whole thing turns, it just gets worse. I personally would get something that would pull out much farthur before rotating.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
Is 14 inches going to be enough? The tray that is on the rack that you are calling out is 16 x 16. My Denon receiver is 17.1" wide, 16.4" deep. If you can only slide it out 14", you would not be able to turn it unless the actual opening is much larger. You would have to have an opening that would be 20.5" just to be able to rotate the Denon, not including if you make an actual rack of equipment.

As the rack gets wider, the hole gets larger, since you have to be able to clear the wires as the whole thing turns, it just gets worse. I personally would get something that would pull out much farthur before rotating.
I went to a local store that specializes in sliders etc today. They didn't have anything that would fit. The TV slider doesn't slide enough so I've decided to scrap this whole idea and go with a fixed shelving unit with an access door/panel to allow be into the back. This should fit what I'm after and keeps things a little more simple.

Paul

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have built something like you are describing. I used heavy duty slides I bought from Rockler. I used a pair of their pantry extension slides with a total rating of 450 lbs. These slides cost about $70 each. These only have 15" travel, but that worked for the cabintry that I built, but just barely. The deepest component I have in that rack is a Yamaha 995. It depends upon how much room you leave on the sides for the rotation of the shelving unit.

I would guess that I spent about $175 on the hardware to build the cabinet (bottom slides, lazy susan pivot, upper support slide to control lateral movement and the pocket door hardware I used to build the door for the shelving unit when it is recessed into the wall. I purchased everything I needed from the Rockler catalog.

Rockler makes some serious single extensions slides with load ratings of 450 lbs and travel of up to about 24", but they are pricey (between $250 and $280).

What I built works very well and looks very nice. I used cherry hardwood for the face frame construction and the panel door, and cherry plywood construction for the shelving. It would have been much simpler if I could have had rear access like you mentioned.

Also, since I just bought a Theta Dreadnaught which is too deep to go into a conventional rack, I have had to build a separate shelving location for it. :(

Anyway good luck on your project.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.