Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, guys...

Let's hear your ideas on the best, and CHEAPEST ways to soundproof a garage. I've set myself a $500-$700 budget for this project. My goal is to make the garage into a Home Theater/Gameroom. There will be lots of bass from my DIY subwoofer. :eek:

I have unfinished wall on my neighboors side of the house, so I have access to be able to throw anything inside that wall that I want.

The big problem I see is the garage door (electric) which still needs to be functional so I can get my Motorcycle inside.

I appreciate all links to more info, or flat out suggestions and debate.

Thank you. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
There is a guy on this formum named CKAudio who built his HT in a garage.

Both he went all out and it looks great.

I don't think your budget will allow sound proofing.

What is your concern, helping the noise out of the house or away from the neighbors?

Keeping the G-door functional is another problem. Why not build a shead for the bike?

This might be a forum 1st

good luck

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can insulate your garage door with styrofoam and cover the styrofoam with panelling. Fiberglass insulation in the walls would be the easiest and cheapest.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
The best way for the outside wall is to build another wall a couple inches in front of it (using sheetrock and offsetting the studs). You can then add soundproofing to the garage door to help. The biggest problem you'll have is the sound leaking around the edges of the garage door.

CJ

·
Registered
756 Posts
While asteticly unpleasing, cardboard egg cartons liquid nailed to the walls with styrofoam planels liquid nailed to the room side of the egg cartons. The egg cartons are almost free, and the foam board can be had from a home center in 4 x 8 sheets. I would reccomend overlapping all seams with foam strips. While this is not the best, it is very cheap and should prove reasonably effective. I have seen this set up in a buddy's basement. He plays the drums and would be devorced if he didn't do something like this.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Poncho
You can insulate your garage door with styrofoam and cover the styrofoam with panelling. Fiberglass insulation in the walls would be the easiest and cheapest.
Don't forget, even with just the styrofoam only. You will at least have to adjust your garage doors springs to a somewhat stronger setting. And may even have to put in stronger springs if you can't adjust enough for it, with the springs you already have.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I barely had to tweak my door springs, but used lighter PVC sheeting over the styrofoam. Panelling is a bit heavier and may need more adjustment. Garage door springs can be dangerous, so be careful.

I don't know if panelling is the best covering, but I wouldn't leave styrofoam exposed. It gets damaged easily (kids love picking it apart) and is flammable.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Tight-pack fiberglass insulate the neighbor's wall. Either double-layer 5/8 sheetrock over the insulation, or build a second wall in front. Noise will go through that garage door nomater what you do, but you can reduce it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
God point Les, that garage door is going to be problematic, but no biggie, just focus on the walls and reducing the garage door. I belive there isa person on the boards that framed a room into his garage... can't remember offhand though.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Okay, guys...

Let's hear your ideas on the best, and CHEAPEST ways to soundproof a garage. I've set myself a $500-$700 budget for this project. My goal is to make the garage into a Home Theater/Gameroom. There will be lots of bass from my DIY subwoofer.

=====

Are you going to be moving anything else large in/out of the garage?

If not then why not better soundproof the garage door, making it a little more permanent and making some sort of 'man' door cut into it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chili has a good point as well. If you are no longer going to be opening the door, then soundproofing it will not be as difficult.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
It seems some have missed one of his specifications about the use of the garage door.

"the garage door (electric) which still needs to be functional so I can get my Motorcycle inside."

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys. And Johnla for pointing out my door predicament. :)

Styrofoam? Would that really reduce sound? Hmm. My latest idea was putting hard fiberglass in each open section of my roll up electric garage door. Then covering the fiberglass with cloth.

That, or I found something cheap at Home Depot called "sound board" that is about $6 for a 4x8 sheet. I could cut that into several small strips and place them in each section of the door.

Keep in mind that it's a roll-up and back door that has five pieces, not a fold-up and out door that is one single large piece.

I realize there is no way (for under $500 total) to get my garage door "sound proof", but I'm looking for the most cost effective way of reducing the sound that goes out to the street.

By CJO: "The best way for the outside wall is to build another wall a couple inches in front of it (using sheetrock and offsetting the studs)."

If only wall is done this way (the one facing my neighboor), would it still help, or does sound just go out the side walls and around? Well... okay I know the sound will go sidways and around,,, but does it "help" still. :)

Thanks again!!

And yes, my only goal is to reduce the sound that ventures outside my garage, as I listen to movies VERY loud and don't want to piss off my neighboors too badly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.