AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off all the dish owner will not like what I propose!!! However i do feel there are sound reasons to what I will suggest. Here we go.....

1. Keep the hardware standard DirectTVplus MPEG-2

the installed base is larger and equipment features more varied

this will be less hassel than keeping the dish standard or doing an all new

standard.

1a Provide dish cutomers DirectTVplus equiptment with as similar features to

their current units.

2. Keep all core programming on the CONUS satellites (101, 110, 119)

everyone would get the 18x24 elliptical dish for one dish coverage of all

three birds. This will require a hardware/software solution outboard of

existing receivers but will be less costly than replacing them.

3. Use the 61.5 and 148 satellites exclusively for HDTV for E & W respectively

this would give 32 channels of HDTV cabability for each coast but would

require a second dish (par for the course dish fans)

4. With the positioning of the spot beam satellites compression to provide

LIL will not be so great so.....maybe just maybe PQ will get better.

Now I will brace myself for the firestorm i have set the stage for......

·
Registered
466 Posts
My somewhat off the wall idea would be to include an 8-VSB tuner in all the new boxes. Not all STB's would have to do HDTV but that would speed up the DTV transition dramatically. Thus the deal would surly past.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTC mac
1. Keep the hardware standard DirectTVplus MPEG-2

the installed base is larger and equipment features more varied

this will be less hassel than keeping the dish standard or doing an all new

standard.
I hope they use the chips out their that have both MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 and do a transition to MPEG-4. That would decrease the bandwidth requirements for SDTV and HDTV which would make more room for a lot of HDTV channels. The transition to MPEG-4 should make it easier for the transition where all channels are HDTV sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Backward compatabiity is a given. E* cant do an FCC another staright from god edict here like the no analog after 2006. MPEG-4 would be nice but realisticaly i dont see it supplanting MPEG-2 for al LONG time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before you go too far down this path: about the only similarities between DIRECTV & Dish is that you have dishes pointed at satellites & television comes out of the box. Dish uses MPEG-2 Transport, DIRECTV uses something a little different. Dish uses the DVB standards for transport, Audio & Video, DIRECTV uses their own thing. Rebuilding an uplink center to support the other type is not a cheap matter..... A merge is going to be a real tough thing to pull off - expect separate services for quite a time.

Rich

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sorry but the DTV mpeg-2 is pre standard! The dish system uses true mpeg-2 compression. This is because the DTV system came out before the standard was set. I think going to mpeg-4 or A Wavelet compression standard would be great but unlikely.

we will problably get a combination system that has Dish`s true mpeg-2 compression and its better encryption with the DTV`s much better GUI.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I agree with DTC mac about the dishes. D*+ dishes w/sat c can alreay see all 3 CONUS locations. For IRDs, I hope all have SVHS and component out for video and both coax and toslink for digital audio. PVRs and HDPVRs would be manufactured by 3rd party mfgs.

Steve

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DTC mac
Backward compatabiity is a given. E* cant do an FCC another staright from god edict here like the no analog after 2006. MPEG-4 would be nice but realisticaly i dont see it supplanting MPEG-2 for al LONG time.
They are going to replace all receivers for Dish and DirecTV. Why is this not the time to switch to a better standard. I assume the satellites are just "bent pipes" and they can send anything through them they want. There is no backward compatibility requirement.

People will have their old receivers and can use them up until the big switch. The the new receiver would be used. A simple co-ax switch with a big label saying OLD and NEW. People that can't unplug and plus in cable would be told to change the switch at the appropriate time.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to be objectionable, but Charly is not going to replace all 15 odd million boxes so it will be one system or the other. I dont buy the looking for a new standard argument, it wont happen mark my words. as an owner of seven D+ boxes I am inclined to want to stay with the direct standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.