AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building house in October and just want input on how big to design my theater in the basement. Adding attachment to help out. Thinking seat about 8 people in room and install 2 pocket doors so people could sit at bar and also watch tv without being in room. Right now I have 52" tv and down the road I will add a projector. I will put a mount in ceiling for future. Basement will be made ICF block 9' so it will be sound tight. Any other pointers would also be appreciated

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
gatorfreak:

Without concern for seats, viewing angle, utility, etc,

acoustically/modally -- Interior Room Dimensions: Length=19.25 ft, Width=17.5 ft, Height=9 ft, Volume: 3031 ft^3 -- seems nice to me.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,629 Posts
Just a quick planning check. Do you know where the support columns and HVAC duct work will be surgically slicing up the space or do you have total design control in this process? Also where will they (YOU?) locate the Elecrical panel, sump pump, I see a utility room but will EVERYTHING get tucked in there?

I know you didn't ask but the bathroom design could use some help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually not a 100% sure but after talking to contractors storage area at bottom of stairs may get bigger to allow for a utility room. Nice thing is I will finish the down stairs my self so I have a while to plan for it.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,629 Posts
You also have the opportunity at this point to pay the extra for some larger steel I beams and minimize the placement of columns in the basement.

Looking at your diagram imagine drawing a line about halfway between the upper and lower wall, now put a column every 12 ft. That would really screw up your plans.

I suggest you do some further research because at this stage you might be able to mitigate the damage.

Also the location of the HVAC unit will determine where those nasty main trunk lines and other duct work will go. If left up to the HVAC guy the main unit is going to be sitting right in the middle of that square basement not in a corner.

If this is a tract house maybe you can get access to one that's partially built and you can see how they work the basement.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
In general, you'll want the HT longer than it is wide. I'm assuming you're putting the display on the right side, since you mentioned the bar being a viewable location. I would make it angle the other way (long way being left-right).

Actually, if it's completely unfinished at this point, I'd put the bedrooms on the right side, and the HT/bar on the left, since you're more likely to be going up and down the stairs from the bedrooms (at least, whoever is staying in those bedrooms will).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Good point about the bedrooms. I figured I would put the theater in this area since the back will be a walkout basement and I wouldn't put any windows in this area. I would like to put the bedroom on that side but I won't have any windows and there fore it can't be a bedroom. Since that area will be the joining wall for 3 car garage. But you did put some ideas in my head. Keep the input coming

Thanks

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The main limitation I see with the floor plan is that the stairs come out in a corner... Far from ideal from a designing perspective. I didn't notice the windows until you mentioned that -- good point. Unfortunately you seem to be a bit limited in your options then. I agree with BMDC that the bathroom should probably be rearranged as well.

Also, you mentioned pocket doors for the HT, but show french doors... I would avoid pocket doors due to sound issues (both limited ability to insulate, as well as rattling the doors in the pocket). The french doors you have shown are a good option.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Here is a very handy Excel spreadsheet I found here somewhere. You can enter all sorts of info and it will indicate suggestions on screens, seating, and other layout stuff. Hats off to Carlton, the originator of this spreadsheet.

Happy designing!

Andy

theater_calculator_v2.5.zip 12.947265625k . file

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.