AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the good advice out there, I am looking for some ideas of neat and tidy ways of running AV cables where they need to go surface , and cannot be routed in the roof, or else where. Living in Australia, we do not typically use the wooden methods of construction that seems typical in the US, so it is more difficult to route cables once the walls (brick and mortar) are built.

One obviously wants to make these runs as inconspicuous as possible. Some methods I use are:

1. Run the cables up the corner of the room in a plastic Pandit type duct with removable lid and into the roof space dropping down in an opposite corner. Paint the duct the same colour as the wall. The lid is removable so cables can be added and removed as you need.

IMG Panduit.gif /IMG

2. Behind the equipment rack, I use Panduit slotted duct for all the AV cables. It really keeps them tidy as all the slack can be hidden inside the duct. Keep power cables away from AV cables

3. Where I am running one cable (say a co-ax antenna cable), I run it up the corner and stick it in place with a glue gun. Paint over it and one cannot even notice it is there.

4. If the wall backs onto a room like for example my garage, I drill thro the wall, take the cable out route it along and re-enter at the point I want to. This sometimes helps with speaker cables if you room location is OK!

The ones I have problems with are for example my video projector mounted on the rear wall, where one has to go up or down in the middle of a room, or the rear surrounds where they are fixed in the middle of a wall. It always looks a bit tacky to me to run cables up or down at those positions. This is where I am sure people have come up with some good concealing ideas (and no I don't mean buying wireless!)

Come on guys - give us the best ideas you have come up with

·
Registered
33 Posts
how about instead of all that fancy business...

check out Decorp's website (google it.) more expensive, but does not look ghetto (and i'm sorry, but all of these methods that you are mentioning convey that image. besides the drilling into the garage method, which is pretty standard for any installer.)

to give better ideas, you must tell us what your ceilings are made of, how thick the drywall is, and if you use wooden studs in your walls.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.