AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Any tweaks to make sub sound better apart from the usual audussey EQ? Eg. Spikes? Isolation platform? Power cord?

Feel free to share your experiences and what tweaks have you used.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Bass traps (as many as you can stand having).

Everything else is just a band-aid.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/20876017

Bass traps (as many as you can stand having).

Everything else is just a band-aid.

You can't just toss up sub traps. You need to know what you're trying to correct.

ie traps come in different thickness based on what you are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale /forum/post/0

Hi

Any tweaks to make sub sound better apart from the usual audussey EQ? Eg. Spikes? Isolation platform? Power cord?

Auralex subdued or gramma will help. So will proper placement tho. Check out te REW software and this will allow you to take measurements of your room. You need to at least take a measurement before you start adding in bass traps.

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale /forum/post/20873685

Hi

Get a measurement system. Until you know what your problems are, you're just shootin' in the dark.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/XTZ-Room-Analyzer.html
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=390-790
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Craig

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale /forum/post/20873685

Hi

One thing is for sure: stay away from after-market power cords. They are nothing but snake oil.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 /forum/post/20876776

You can't just toss up sub traps. You need to know what you're trying to correct.

ie traps come in different thickness based on what you are trying to achieve.

Well, yes you can basically. Broadband bass traps built for corners do not target any particular frequency (unlike a hemholtz resonator). So there really is no risk to putting them at any boundary intersection. The goal is to *eliminate* the room interaction with low frequencies, as if your room had no walls. It's not like you can accidentally absorb all of your 50hz bass with an improperly placed bass trap.

Just look at Ethan Winer's room. He has something like 40-50 traps. That quantity and distribution absorbs a significant amount of reflected bass, it doesn't "gobble up" the direct sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Just to clarify, my goal of this thread is not really about room peaks n dips. Just looking out for any possible tweaks that can further improve the sub assuming no room interaction

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
REW and a dedicated parametric EQ.

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale /forum/post/20886882

...assuming no room interaction
I've never experienced a sub in a room that had no room interaction. How do you do that? With one of those really expensive power cords?

Craig

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts
There are lots of things you can do to improve the SQ of a sub, but they pretty much *all* involve fixing the peaks and nulls caused by room interaction. Why don't you tell us what sub you have and what you've done so far to "even out the room response." If you have measurements, post them.

Craig

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was speaking to a local audio shop owner. He was telling me to lift up the sub with spikes, replace the fuse with silver fuse to make the sub sound faster n tighter. Personally have not tried these, hence posting here to find out if these are snake oil or not

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
LOL!!

What sub product are we talking about here.

Dealer is a quack btw. Silver fuse haha

You need to eq the sub in your room.

I have only in all my time at this seen a measument of a pair of subs in a room flat as a pancake - no eq. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfale /forum/post/20888009

I was speaking to a local audio shop owner. He was telling me to lift up the sub with spikes, replace the fuse with silver fuse to make the sub sound faster n tighter. Personally have not tried these, hence posting here to find out if these are snake oil or not

Using spikes on a sub could potentially be a huge problem. Some subs have a tendency to vibrate at high output. Having the box sitting on spikes could transfer that vibration to the points on the floor, causing noise or even floor damage. At the least, you would want the small "floor discs" to place underneath the spikes. If you're on carpet, forget spikes altogether. If you're on a solid floor, (wood, tile, etc.), rubber feet would be a much better option than spikes. If your sub is vibrating and exciting the floor to move, you may actually want to de-couple the sub from the floor, in which case you would want something like a SubDude. (Now that's a tweak that may have some merit.)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDude

Silver fuses? Faster and tighter? How can a sub play a note "faster"? If it's playing a note "faster", it's playing a different note.
That's called "distortion." Make a sub "tighter?" The term "tight" is usually a reference to transient response, i.e., overhang, ringing, etc. Even if a silver fuse could have some minor effect on transient response, (unlikely), the transient response is so overwhelmed by the room's transient response that the effect of the fuse would be completely inconsequential.

Silver fuses in a subwoofer are clearly "snake oil."

Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.