AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any cheap ideas to pull this off ?

I'd love to have the screen mounted in a way I can easily adjust the tilt, so I can play with keystoning.........or no keystoning+tilted screen to square the image up.

My thoughts are to use some thick dowel as a horizontal pivot near the top of the screen/frame. Two small supports on the back of the frame that would slot on top of the dowel and allow the screen to tilt.

Dowel would be secure to wall studs through dry wall every 16 inches.

Screen/Frame could rest on dowel with say 4 supports. (attached to top edge of the frame).

Then just make different sized spacers for the bottom of the screen. Smaller spacer == bigger tilt angle.

Andy

·
Registered
157 Posts
My idea might not be as pretty, but I was thinking of attaching a few hinges (piano hinges, maybe?) on the bottom and then some small chain and hooks at the top corners. To adjust it you'd just have to unhook the chain and increase or decrease links.

Just thought of something. You could attach the piano hinges to french cleats so you could easily pull the screen down if you had to. This would also make the inital installation much easier because you could attach the hinges and french cleats to the screen while it is laying flat on the ground (or you could attach the hinges and french cleat to the wall, which might be easier still). If you don't use the cleats you'd have to lay the screen horizontally next to the wall while you screw the hinges into the wall studs. In other words you'd have to prop the screen up off of the floor 2-3 feet, or how ever high the bottom of your screen is, while you attach the hinge to the wall. Then everytime you wanted to pull the screen down you'd have to swing the top of the screen down and unscrew the hinges = pain in the butt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the problem you discuss with the hinges, is why i was thinking of using dowel as the "hinge", so in essence, I'm building a hinge, with one half attached to wall, one half to frame.

The idea of regular metal hinges with a French Cleat is intruiging tho......I dont have to mess with creating the hinge from 2x4 pieces and dowel then.

I still need to figure out a simple way to hold the bottom of the screen at the required spacing.

Andy

·
Registered
32 Posts
The question back to you is "How far away from the wall is allowable while still meeting your definition of 'against the wall' from the posting title?"

At the hinge end, I see a closet rod running the length of the screen captured in a bracket at each end. You need to shim that out a little bit so there is room to rotate without having the adjacent screen edge push into the wall.

At the moving end, if the screen can stick out a considerable distance, I see a couple turnbuckles, since they're easier to work with. If you want it really close to the wall (and thus the range of angular movement is low), then you need a threaded wood insert to mount in the wall or on a cross piece you mount to the wall, and then some all-thread running through that to your frame. That will act like the jack-screw you might see on the bottom of your washer or dryer when leveling the unit during installation. You might be able to find a jack-screw leveling foot with a web search, I haven't looked.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
I would make the hinge point half way up the screen. By doing this you could tilt it in ether direction and when it went to full tilt the bottom of the screen could come in contact with the wall. At the center point there shouldn't be any need for chains etc just a little clamping force at the pivot point should be all that is needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One other idea, assuming you want it close to the wall still. Review the three pieces below (capture block on wall, widget in the middle, guide block on screen). You could make those out of your favorite material (wood, metal, plastic), although the size and shape would depend on how much adjustment was desired. In that way, you could just crank out or in from the bottom by turning the screw rod, as shown in the second image. This might minimize your distance the screen protrudes from the wall when tilted, I'm still not sure if you're looking for 2-3 degrees or 20-30 degrees of tilt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.