AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is what comes out of the wall in my utility room.

Blue: Cat 5 (Possibly for Keypads?)

Gray:R22 WAG (not sure their function??)

Orange: CM/CL2 (4 wires) This is for the security system

Yellow: Clear signal 16/4 I think this is the speaker wire but when it ends in the junction boxes there are green wires for the speaker wires to the ceilings.

All of these wires are well labeled as far as where they go in the house.

My questions are:

1. What are all of these wires?

2. Is there a multi zone system that can use all of the wires in one system? including the security system?

3. Are there any touchscreen keypads that you would recommend for single din housing?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
can you find out the name of the wiring contractor ?

does the house already have multiple speakers (or at least a speaker pair) in multiple rooms (pre-wired for a whole house audio distribution system) ?

does the blue CAT5 also go to the junction boxes with the yellow speaker wires ? or does it go to a separate box (low on the wall at electrical outlet height) in each room for

computer network wiring ?

and the last question: can you find out the name of the wiring contractor ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortuantely the builder went out of business right after they built the house three years ago so i have no one to contact about the wiring...

The house has at least two pre-wired speaker boxxes in the ceiling of each room with a blank single din junction box at the entry to each room. In this junction box there is usually a blue cat5 and a yellow (4 wire) coming in from the basement and usually 2 green (2 wire) going up to the celing boxxes.

I still dont know what the grey wires are though...

·
Registered
51 Posts
It looks like the house was pre-wired for security, whole house audio, and ethernet.(It also looks like some RG6 for the cable drops are in the closet as well) There is a lot of potential as far as what can be done with it, I had my home pre-wired nearly the same way. I ended up going with an Elk M1 alarm system which controls most of my home automation, and handles the alarm duty as well. The audio sounds like it's wired for a multi zone amp with impedance matching volume controls located in the single gang boxes for local volume control. Judging by the prewiring you will have lots of options for finishing it out, but you may need to look into finding a local low voltage/CI contractor to look at the wiring on-site and make recommendations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts