AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just want to point out that I am the idiot.

After trying for several hours on Saturday to install a dish 500, I gave up. I could never get a "locked" signal.

Well, I went up to the roof this morning and realized my mistake and I imediately got a signal strength of 120 from the 119 Satillite.

So, here is the idiot-proof way to align this dish. DO NOT pre-set the skew angle. Leave it set to zero and just adjust the elevation angle and then align the dish to the proper azimuth with no skew. Tigten down the nuts and only then set the skew. The reason for this is because when I set the skew on my dish it is pointing 15 deg. to far to the left!!!

What the directions should tell you when it gives you the proper azimuth is that the azimuth is where the dish would theoretically point if it were not skewed.

Anyway, it worked great and I then set up my second dish pointing at the 61.5 Sat. and of course it was dead on as soon as I put it on the mast.

The Demo loop looks fantastic!!

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
205 Posts
What did you get on 110?

I thought you had to set the skew first or you couldn't hit the second satilite.

------------------

Les_D

DFAST = HD DiVX

DFAST has nothing to do with stopping piracy and every thing to do with making you pay EVERY TIME you watch a movie.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may not have been very clear. Sorry.

I indeed set the the skew BEFORE I recieved any signal. I was mearly saying that I set the azimuth before I set the skew. The skew was set last. Only then did I get the "locked" signal from 119.

As for the 110 Sat., I get about 88 to 90, however, this is because the signal is being blocked by my chimney. Anyway, its good enough.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Well - if your dish is being blocked by the chimney, your signal strength would be ZERO. That 80 - 90 reading for 110 is simply NORMAL.

The USUAL directions are to set your skew, find 119 (and then 110 will just "be there"). Your method is fine for just seeing that you have visibility and to get an idea of the general direction.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scooper, you are obviously correct. It only appears to be blocked by the chimney (i.e. it is pointed directly at it).

As for the "usual" directions to set skew first, this is why I posted my Idiot's tip. Trust me, DO NOT set the skew until you have it pointed to the proper azimuth. Otherwise, you will have no idea where you are pointing. Obviously it will be different for various parts of the country. Here in NE Georgia, I was to set at 229 deg. With the skew set at 126, the dish actually points (the protrusion that holds the LNBF) to 214. Thats 15 deg. off!! No wonder I spent all afternoon trying to get a signal.

As stated in my previous post, the correct azimuth to set the Dish 500 is where it would theoretically point if it were not skewed.

Now, if you set the skew last as I have suggested, you illimnate the problem. Its an out of the box, one shot deal as I proved on my second attempt.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker:
When you set the skew angle should have absolutely nothing to do with how well you receive a signal. You should set skew and elevation before you ever get up on the ladder.
WRONG! At least in my case. No signal until I skewed it.

Also, why do you guys want to keep raining on my parade.

I started this thread to help any future "forum searcher" get their Dish 500 installed if they are having trouble with alignment. By stating that you should set the skew before you ever get up on the ladder is going against my tip (in other words, telling me I'm wrong!)

I have installed 5 dishes now and all were set up perfectly the first time with NO adjusting!... execpt of course the Dish 500, which is why I started this thread.

So anyway, if you are that future searcher, MY advise is that you ignore the replies to my thread and do as I suggested.

I mean no offense to anyone, but I already know how its "supposed" to be done. I am trying to provide a TIP.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

·
Registered
695 Posts
No offense meant, no offense taken. In my first and only attempt at putting up a Dish 500, this didn't even factor in, so I'm only reporting my own experience. I guess I don't understand how the skew would affect the azimuth position. Now, if you're sighting down the LNB arm (now that I re-read your post), then you're absolutely right. When I set mine up, I didn't use the arm. I was able to get behind the dish, check my compass for the approximate position and eyeball a spot between some nearby trees that would put the dish in the correct position. Then I pointed the dish itself to that position and was able to lock in on the signal.

Would it be fair to say that if you do set the skew first, just don't use the LNB arm as a reference point for the azimuth position? Just trying to understand the situation. If I'm reading this right now, you do have a point. But it depends what you use as a reference point to the azumuth. Yes?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker:
Would it be fair to say that if you do set the skew first, just don't use the LNB arm as a reference point for the azimuth position
Yea, thats fair. The problem is that its difficult to tell which direction the dish is pointing when the LNB arm is pointing upwards at an angle. Like skewed! I think most people would fall into the trap that I did and assume that the LNBF(s) are in the front. They ARE NOT once its skewed.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had a different experience putting up my Dish system. For 61.5, I used my existing 18" Sony dish. I set the elevation and just swung it around to where it was supposed to go and I had the signal locked in at 117 within minutes.

My problem with the Dish 500 was simple stupidity. I spent over an hour trying to get the signal locked in before I realized I had connected my single lead to the 110 satellite jack instead of the 119. This is critical!! Once I connected it up correct to 119 and put it back on the mast, I got the signal locked in within a few minutes.

When you set the skew angle should have absolutely nothing to do with how well you receive a signal. You should set skew and elevation before you ever get up on the ladder. And you MUST make sure that your mast mount is perfectly level up and down and over the top. If you don't have the mast level, you'll be up there all day. Once you have the mast level and the skew and elevation on the Dish 500 set properly for your area, it should just be a simple matter of putting the thing on the mast, pointing it to approximately the azimuth you need, and then slowly rotating it until you start to get a signal. Sure, it may be easier to site down the LNB arm to find your azimuth, but if your mast is straight, you only have to get close to start getting signal. Then you can fine tune by making minor adjustments.

I actually found the whole installation process extremely simple and now find myself wondering why I ever bothered to pay for professional installation the first time. (BTW, I did the whole installation by myself. Thank you, Dish, for that "Contact" -slash- Vegan thumping sound in the dish pointing menu and the different pitched tones to indicate signal strength. I got both the 61.5 and 110/119 dishes up over 100 just by ear, without ever looking at the tv screen)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.