AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, for all of you debating on Kuro vs Panasonic, I am starting to think it would have been worth the extra money for Kuro. This idle luminance on the panasonic is not terrible, but it certainly isn't great. Any suggestions (besides turning it into a bedroom monitor
)?

I found a GREAT article about Pioneer's Kuro prototype and it has an EXCLLENT picture in it showing what a display such as my Panasonic compares to the Kuro's idle luminance. Check it out:

http://popsci.typepad.com/popsci/200...r-invents.html

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, like I've been saying, for the price I knew I would have a sacrafice somewhere. I guess the point is, I see so many people asking "Is it worth it". This might help them in their decision. I wil just wait until plasma is replaced with OLED (if that ever gets the bugs worked out).

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Considering that right now OLED is 2500 for an 11" screen, I don't think it'll take off for a long while...

·
Registered
671 Posts
While good blacks really shine in a dark room viewing environment, I find some loss of detail with the Kuros in a light room, especially daylight. It's a trade off, while my Panny does not have as good of black level as the Kuro, I would not be willing to sacrifice the Panny's white level and light detail. It's a trade off, and given the fact that my 58" Pro-Panny was alot less money and IMO far better asthetics (cant stand the gloss black trend) made it an easy choice.

If my main concern was black level and I used the monitor in a dedicated room that was usually dark I may have went Kuro, but then the stories of crappy factory support would have caused me to buy from a B&M store further increasing the cost difference.

Look at the overall picture. No pun

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I think Panny will have the same zero luminance panels with 10 lumen tech within 3-5 years and Pioneer will be pretty much screwed. Until then, buy whichever you feel is the best deal. I'd rather save the money now personally since I know it will be necessary to upgrade in a few years and the PZ800 gives a great picture regardless. I'd love the Pioneer, but I can't justify spending twice the price (in Taiwan) of the Panny.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Interestingly...the posted article refers to a technology not yet available by any manufacturer, but alluded to by at least three: Pioneer, LG, Panasonic.

The infinite contrast pictures are, indeed, striking. The "before" images of the currently available Kuros are within striking distance of several top quality panels by Samsung, LG, and Panasonic.

I agree with the previous poster, consider the whole picture.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Also keep in mind the photo's in that article are over exposed which in turn makes the 8G kuro on the left look noticabley worse than it would in person.

I took an over exposed shot of a CRT & LCD side by side to show this effect, The LCD on the right had fairly poor black levels in person but not nearly as bad as the picture would suggest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts