AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idle noise from front L/R

I have an Onkyo 605 receiver, wired for bi-amp to my Klipsch Synergy F-30 floorstanders I bought last Black Thursday at Best Buy, and a Klipsch Synergy-12 sub woofer (12 inch).

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed this annoying humming idle noise coming from both the sub and my 2 floorstanders, but not my center, or rears. The floorstanders also have an annoying idle sound coming from the tweeter that sounds like white noise but some what louder than usual, I understand a little idle noise, but the ammount is becoming noticable and varies.

I have both my receiver and HDTV running through a monster clean power, and I use all monster HDMI (i'm a sucker for monster), and a Monster THX RCA cable for LFE to the receiver.

I have tried rewiring the front left speaker in case it was a wiring job gone bad in the bananna plugs (also monsters lol), but this didn't resolve the issue. I even tried turning off the bi-amp and running it as normal, but I still get that louder than usual idle sound, though without the hum as it's not bi-amp for the lower frequency for this test. I notice this hum from the sub until it's turned off, or the source is lost. I notice the idle sound from the front L/R speakers whether the sub is on or off. I have tried moving the sub, moving the speakers, nothing seems to get rid of this. I am seriously wondering if this is an issue with the receiver, perhaps it's going bad? I know it runs hot, but I have it out in the open. I have also cut power completely from the receiver to cool it and it seemed to help when powering it back on, but its still there, but not quite as loud. Then I figured out from the sub, that when the gain is over the 50% mark on the physical sub, the hum gets much louder!

I guess my question to everyone is, what do you think of the issue I'm experiencing, is it a bad receiver since it affects multiple speakers? Could it be a type of intereference, if so, I'm shocked because all of my equipment is shielded and monster cables can withstand an atomic blast without receiving intereference lol (joke of course). Anyways, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to give them a shot. I'm getting married next year, and am very nervous about replacing a receiver. If you've managed to read all of this, I am glad, and hope you have a comment or 2 for me.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy
Any ideas guys? Or am I going to have to buy a Denon AR1912 lol I've started researching receivers. If I'm on the right path troubleshooting wise, it's probably the receiver.
Hum is always a mystery in any electronic system. You may try troubleshooting by starting to disconnect source cables from the Onkyo and see when the hum goes away.

I also had a terrible hum problem in my system, it turned out that the ground of the cable box coax cable was on a different potential that the mains power ground. I have an 8-plug surge arrestor that came with a dummy plug (plastic) that has coax in and out just to pass through the TV cable signal, but the ground of the coax cable is connected to the ground of the mains inside the dummy. Hum went away!!!

So, start to unplug one by one!

(And make sure you follow the connection guide of Monster Clean Power and run all your devices through it, not just the receiver and the HDTV.)

P.S. Hum is always an input issue and not an output issue. No wonder rewiring your speakers did not solve your problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.