AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sept issue of Spectrum has an article on page 73 about the new Philips LCoS display. Interestingly, this thing uses 1 panel with three spinning prisms to change the color on the panel. It sounds like this generates an image similar to the SCR wheel that's coming for DLP.

-phil

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The article mentions that this was done to simplify the light path and eliminate the need to combine and allign three seperate colors.

Of course that could all just be marketing hype to justify a potentail loss in performance do to a cost reduction.

-phil

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Sorry, can't find the link. But I think Philips research claims they went for single panel for both cost and convergence reasons. To solve rainbow, I think they had a way to switch pixels faster so the eye wouldn't see it. I think final refresh was 100+ Hz, thats why I wanted to find link for you. Sorry..

------------------

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Oops, heres the link...
http://www.research.philips.com/pass...w4/pw4_16.html

ends up being 150-180Hz !

some verbage on why they chose single vs 3 panel... They also say prism is more efficient than color wheel. Which makes sense if light from lamp is spilt into three beam simutaneously, not so much if rotating prism does it sequentialy... ?

------------------

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Phil, doesn't this seem to be going the wrong direction by adding complexity and moving parts into the equation? Seems to me a three chip with single prism (RCA LCOS) would be more reliable over the long run. Do you think the price reduction on one chip versus three will offset the realiabilty issue? Thanks for the heads up on the article by the way.

------------------

Lou Daboll

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the link. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Philips own words tell why they chose this method:

"The high-quality image, together with the advantage of low cost, presents an attractive option for low-cost consumer HDTV displays, high-resolution workstation monitors and business presentation displays."

low-cost consumer HDTV displays appears more important than high quality and reliability.

------------------

Lou Daboll

[This message has been edited by ldaboll (edited 09-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ldaboll (edited 09-08-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.