AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
angilasaurus - can you offer any information on this?

Any other IF dealers?

The Super Bowl is one week away and inquiring minds want to know.;)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
John - this is great news. I'm confused on your comments regarding distributors. How many national distributors does InFocus have? You indicate that Cinelight is the only national distributor, but go on to say one of the two national distributors was not aware of it.

I called 2 IF dealers in the Boston area and they have not heard anything (or aren't saying anything) about a MSRP decrease.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
John - thanks again. This is great news - and might put some more downward pricing pressure on other products.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I have officially leaned away from the Sharp 10k to the IF 5700...
Why would anyone lean away from a projector that is 720p for something with less resolution?

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
Why would anyone lean away from a projector that is 720p for something with less resolution?

Thanks,

Frank
Hmm. Maybe because of the price drop?

Thanks for the lightning quick info Patrick.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
David777,

Please correct me if I am wrong. The only thing that this projector can display at it's "Native Resolution" are DVDs. 720P and 1080I HD must be scaled to the chips "Native Resolution". Correct? Scaling is not good...

If I understand it correctly, why not buy the Sony HS20. It has enough pixels to display every bit of conent at it "Native Resolution" and it can be found for $3000.00...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Frank T. Lee

·
Registered
525 Posts
its LCD....The IF does a great job on HD from what I've read...just not as good as the 7200.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ftlee
Scaling is not good...

If I understand it correctly, why not buy the Sony HS20. It has enough pixels to display every bit of conent at it "Native Resolution" and it can be found for $3000.00...

What am I missing?
The HS20 cannot display 1080i material at its native resolution. It has to scale it. 720p can be displayed at its native resolution if you choose to, but not many people would display DVDs at their native resolution with the HS20. They would scale them up, which most of us consider a good thing. Now if you meant that a 1024x576 has to scale all HD down that is one thing, but the HS20 has to scale most HD down.

Most HD at the moment is 1080i, but we're getting some 720p content with ABC-HD, ESPN-HD and WM9 DVDs (also 1080p). Almost all the rest is 1080i at the moment.

The key really is in how things look and with DLP vs LCD I think you will almost always find some viewers preferring one and others preferring the other when comparing HT DLPs to LCDs.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the biggest advantage of te 5700 i see are the colors and light output. pretty good contrast too at that brightness.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There is more to a projector than just resolution. How it displays colors, the brightness output, the color rendition, and many other things all compund to make up a picture. When choosing a projector you need to determine which of these elements is most important to you, and it is not resolution for everyone. Not every person on here is going to choose the highest res projector in their price range, because it flat out may not look as good in the overall scheme of things against some lower res projectors. Don't discout the other elements of picture quality.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.