AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using one of these for their FP? I am looking into them, as power going out is not good if the fan doesn't get to do its job on the bulb with cooling. If you are, list which one you are using. thanks! 3C

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bob (from Infocus) has said that the bulbs last longer if they cool slowly and that they have designed everything to handle the case where the power just goes out. So all you really need is a good power filter/surge protector. (Unless you want to watch stuff while the power is out.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm using an APC 700VA SmartUPS on my BenQ 8700. I concede that it's probably unnecessary, but figured it was pretty cheap insurance for the projector/bulb.

BenQ (well, the customer service rep I spoke to at least), recommended a UPS for backup, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I am using a battery backup for my HT1000 - just gives me peace of mind. And yes, I have tested it and it works.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MCodanti
Bob (from Infocus) has said that the bulbs last longer if they cool slowly and that they have designed everything to handle the case where the power just goes out. So all you really need is a good power filter/surge protector. (Unless you want to watch stuff while the power is out.)
I remember Bob Williams post regarding this, too. Running the fan after the PJ is shut down does not prolong bulb life. The reason for the fan running, after you shut down the PJ, is so that you can restart it soon, if you want to. The bulb needs to be cool to restrike.

He said that there was no need for a UPS, unless you want to continue watching after the power is out. However, a typical UPS is only going to run the PJ for a 5-10 minutes, and what about audio?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I like having UPS's, yes even cheap ones, hooked up to anything with a cool down cycle or anything that has a long reboot cycle. My Samsung DLP RPTV and a D* HD box run off one as I speak. We have lots of those "little" power outages here in FL where the power flickers on and off-having the STB reboot means waiting until it redownloads the guide-a real PITA.

Lots of folks say to only use pure sinewave (SmartUPS series) UPSs-I use the ones that come with rebates and haven't had any problems after about 12 months of use. But I have extended warranties :)

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.