AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy DLP projectors next week. At this point, I narrow my choice to InFocus 7200 or Sharp 10k for best street price and picture quality. I currently have a CRT setup in 15x25x12 with cathedral ceiling. My current screen is 100" diag 4x3, and plan to upgrade to 106" 16x9 Firehawk. I have a coffee table that houses CRT and it is 10 feet from screen. The seats are 17 ft from screen.

I plan to put the new projector in old coffee table since ceiling mount will be tough due to high ceiling and rewiring (no attic).

After reading Sharp/IF specs, it looks like IF 7200 is better fit since it has shorter throw distance. In both cases, I have to move the coffee table back at least 1 foot for IF and 2ft for Sharp. I really don't want to move back more than 1ft since I plan to add 2nd row of seats behind my sofa. Since the projector will project upward( I don't want to raise the coffee table), which projector has better keystone adjustment? Which projector will have less fan noise since it will sit right in front of me? What are other options? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
can you tell us how far up from the floor the bottom of your screen will be and how far from the floor the lens of your new PJ will be (distance between lens and bottom of screen? With your screen size, the image offset will be close to 8.5".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, it's 22" from floor to bottom of screen and 21" from floor to top of coffee table. The current CRT is housed inside coffee table supplied by Vidikron. The front of coffee table is 10 feet from screen,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read in this forum about BEnQ, it has short throw distance 1.3-1.6 and might work. The only concern is it's a new product, and I have not heard of BenQ. Who make BenQ? Runco? It looks like Runco and Vidikron 40 which made by Runco.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
BenQ used to be Acer. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

As to the IF PJ, are you going to raise the screen a little since you're now going to have a 16:9 screen? If so, then you may not need any keystoning and just have the lens offset be enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measure again to confirm, the bottom of screen to floor is 26", not 22.

Normally with this setup, what is typical measurement for floor to bottom of screen for 16x9 screen? If I raise the screen, then do I need to raise the table? I guess I don't undertand the difference between lenseshift and keystoning. Does Sharp, IF and BenQ all have keystone and lenseshift?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most projectors, like the IF 7200, have an image offset that requires that the projector be mounted somewhat below the bottom of the screen (or a little above the top of the screen for ceiling mounts). The amount of this offset varies from projector to projector. In the case of the IF 7200 with a 106" diagonal 16x9 screen, the projection distance is between 11 and one-half feet and 16 feet and the image offset is about 8 and one-half inches. That is, the lens should be about 8 and one-half inches below the bottom of the screen.

The Sharp 10K is differernt in two ways from the IF 7200. It has a physical lens shift that allows you to vary the image offset. The other difference--and this is very important for your installation--is that the projector lens MUST be no lower than the bottom of the screen and no higher than the top of the screen.

Thus, you can't install the Sharp inside your coffee table if the top of the table isn't as high as the bottom of the screen. The center of the Sharp's lens is about 3 and three-quarters inches above the surface the Sharp is resting on. So, if the bottom of your new screen is 26 inches off the floor, then the shelf or table the Sharp rests on must be at least 22 and one-quarter inches off the floor.

Not only that, the Sharp has a very long-throw standard lens. For your 106" screen, the throw distance is between just under 14 feet and just under 19 feet!

Everyone's setups are different: the Sharp may be annoying for your setup, but it is ideal for a setup on a shelf at the back of the room and a Firehawk screen.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The answers above are the specs that would prevent you from having to employ keystoning. If you find keystoning acceptable (most of us don't), then either PJ could be used, but the SP7200 would require less keystoning due to its greater built in offset.

You can also alleviate the need to keystone by lowering your screen to the distance where keystoning is not required, if this works for you. It is nice to have the center of the screen right at eye level, but practical considerations require most of us to mount it higher.

The SP7200 is quieter than the Sharp, but some SP7200s have color wheel whine that might negate the difference.

The shorter throw BenQ or Marantz along with lowering your screen might be the better solution for you.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Another consideration, if your PJ sits on top of the coffee table, don't get one that exhaust to the rear. You won't be able to stand the hot air blowing on you.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The Benq 8700 has been getting a lot of excellent reviews, and the price can't be beat. For a 106" 16:9 screen, the throw would about 10.5' at it's shortest. The offset would about 3". That means the bottom of the screen would be 3" above the center of the lens. If you mount the pj inside the table, as close to the top as possible, the picture would probably end up at about the same hieght as the top of the table. As the 8700 has no lens shift, you would either have to lower your screen to 22", or tilt the pj and use keystoning.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.