AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the post title says.

All I really need is Dolby Digital sound for my ps3. I don't care about lossless. I don't care about HDMI, since I will just plug that right into my tv for video.

I was thinking of a last years model on Ebay?

I like the onkyo tx-sr506, but am I paying to much for this years tech, without this years tech?

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
You could look at some receivers that are 3-5 years old that were high end models during their time. A couple that come to mind are the Yamaha 2500, 2700 and the Denon 5800, 5803, 3805, 4805. These receivers were $1500-3k and would do everything exceptionally well but people are dumping them on ebay super cheap because they're upgrading to HDMI units.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15542351

You could look at some receivers that are 3-5 years old that were high end models during their time. A couple that come to mind are the Yamaha 2500, 2700 and the Denon 5800, 5803, 3805, 4805. These receivers were $1500-3k and would do everything exceptionally well but people are dumping them on ebay super cheap because they're upgrading to HDMI units.

Is HDMI all that big of a deal? Really? Other then if you want 7.1 lossless?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
HDMI offers potential convenience of a single wire connector. HDMI also avoids unnecessary conversions from digital audio sources to analog and then back to digital.

HDMI's downsides are unfortunately not trivial. The connector comes lose more easily than it should. Cable boxes are notorious for having issues. Some have reported resolutions changing on them, for example my Tivo's output resolution keeps resetting. Sometimes HDMI does not work at all.

But I am mostly happy with HDMI. My 360, PS3, DVD player and Tivo are all connected with HDMI. And the biggest issue is the resolution resetting to 1080i out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15542505

HDMI offers potential convenience of a single wire connector. HDMI also avoids unnecessary conversions from digital audio sources to analog and then back to digital.

HDMI's downsides are unfortunately not trivial. The connector comes lose more easily than it should. Cable boxes are notorious for having issues. Some have reported resolutions changing on them, for example my Tivo's output resolution keeps resetting. Sometimes HDMI does not work at all.

But I am mostly happy with HDMI. My 360, PS3, DVD player and Tivo are all connected with HDMI. And the biggest issue is the resolution resetting to 1080i out.

You mentioned having to convert digital signal to analog and back...but with optical I could avoid this yes?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racineboxer /forum/post/15542351

Could I get some more older model receivers
I am going on the ebay prowl

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15542210

Like the post title says.

All I really need is Dolby Digital sound for my ps3. I don't care about lossless. I don't care about HDMI, since I will just plug that right into my tv for video.

I was thinking of a last years model on Ebay?

I like the onkyo tx-sr506, but am I paying to much for this years tech, without this years tech?

Thanks

Pardon me for asking but, why don't you care about lossless?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow /forum/post/15543239

Pardon me for asking but, why don't you care about lossless?

No problem...

1.)I don't think I could hear the difference between Dolby Digital @ 640kbs vs whatever bit rate.

2.)I have energy c-100 speakers, which are nice, but I doubt will be able to convey the minute difference there is, even if my ears could.

3.)the blue ray dvd(my system is for movies) has to have a special track for TRUEHD and I haven't seen many of them and from what I've read if they do include trueHD, they also include the max 640kbs on the the standard dolby digital track (see point's 1 and 2)

Thats pretty much my thought process

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Optical would not avoid converting your video to analog and back. Sorry if I was unclear.

HDMI allows for video to stay in digital from source to display.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15543753

Optical would not avoid converting your video to analog and back. Sorry if I was unclear.

HDMI allows for video to stay in digital from source to display.

I planned on running HDMI from the ps3 to the TV directly. Then I planed on running a seperate optical cable from the ps3 to the receiver for sound.

This would be 100% digital correct...ie it would stay digital through the entire process.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Most bluray movies have DTS-HD-Ma, or Dolby TrueHD or PCM. In fact it is easily greater than 60-70%. There is a big difference between lossless and lossy. However, if you don't care about that, buy a better unit than Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. Get a NAD T754 or even an Arcam or HK model.

·
Registered
353 Posts
you might look over at audiogon

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/15543868

Most bluray movies have DTS-HD-Ma, or Dolby TrueHD or PCM. In fact it is easily greater than 60-70%. There is a big difference between lossless and lossy. However, if you don't care about that, buy a better unit than Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. Get a NAD T754 or even an Arcam or HK model.

do you think I would be able to notice trueHD sound on my energy c-100 speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-san /forum/post/15543868

you might look over at audiogon

Thanks...I knew I heard someone mention a place like this a while ago

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15543572

No problem...

1.)I don't think I could hear the difference between Dolby Digital @ 640kbs vs whatever bit rate.

2.)I have energy c-100 speakers, which are nice, but I doubt will be able to convey the minute difference there is, even if my ears could.

3.)the blue ray dvd(my system is for movies) has to have a special track for TRUEHD and I haven't seen many of them and from what I've read if they do include trueHD, they also include the max 640kbs on the the standard dolby digital track (see point's 1 and 2)

Thats pretty much my thought process

Well I'll tell you what. If it wasn't for the new lossless audio codecs, I wouldn't have invested 30k into another home theater. This is my fourth adventure into home theater land. I have to say that between Blu Ray and lossless audio, I am a home theater fantatic forever. The two new formats have excited me and my family, and we are spending so many hours enjoying the cinema together. If I were you I would rethink my position on lossless.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15543036

Could I get some more older model receivers
I am going on the ebay prowl

If I was going to buy a used receiver and HDMI wasn't an issue, I would most certainly look at a B&K AVR-307 or 507. Superb receivers, gobs of power, and really top end. This one is a little high, but you get the picture. Street price, used, is probably under $500

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....07-AV-Receiver

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico /forum/post/15544400

If I was going to buy a used receiver and HDMI wasn't an issue, I would most certainly look at a B&K AVR-307 or 507. Superb receivers, gobs of power, and really top end. This one is a little high, but you get the picture. Street price, used, is probably under $500

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....07-AV-Receiver

yeah I would have to second that. I have a BK305 which, kicks three flavors of ass. And BK's service is really great. whic is important if you buy used.

I bought mine used and it had a problem (an internal blown fuse) and BK repaired it for free and upgraded the firmware while it was in, all I paid was shipping to them.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15544486

do you guys think I will be able to notice the lossless quality on my c-100's?

What you are asking for is an opinion. There are some that claim that the difference between lossy and lossless is HUGE. There are some who claim that it is practically non-existent. Most are in the middle. Its really up to you. You can at least go to any audio store and ask them to play a movie in lossless and lossy format and see if you can hear a difference.

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop /forum/post/15544486

do you guys think I will be able to notice the lossless quality on my c-100's?

Thats a tough call, possibly. Some say the differences between lossy and lossless are minimal and some say they're great. I think they're somewhere in between. I feel its worth it to spend the money on a AVR that can resolve the lossless codecs.

Have you heard the lossless tracks?

I don't know if I missed it but what was your budget?

You can pick up a HDMI capable AVR from last year for pretty cheap, relatively.

This also gives you the option of HDMI switching without changing inputs on your TV, in case you end up with more gear that has HDMI.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My overall budget is around $600.

I spent $180 on the 4 c-100's from woot, since my wife did not like the idea of tower speakers....and that great deal at woot.com sealed the deal.

I need a center (the c-c100's are hard to find and sell from $200 to $250
)

I need a receiver, I was going to buy that refurb on accesories4less for $160 Onkyo TX-SR576...but it was silver.... BLAH

I also need a sub...I was thinking of using my old logitech from my computer surround, 5300 setup(use a converter to get the proprietary little rca type plugs to go into my receiver)

1 - 20 of 114 Posts