AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I had a bad flash while updating my bios. I installed a new motherboard today but for some reason my hard drive will not boot. I ran chkdsk and it seems to be the same. Would fixboot or fixmbr do the trick and if so what do I do.

Thanks!

Also. It keeps asking for the administrator password but when I type it, the puter doesn't recognize it. What to do. If I could figure this part out I wouldn't need fixboot or fixmbr or whatever.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What do you mean by not booting and since you need to type an admin password, were do you get that prompt ?

If it asks for the admin password at boot (meaning, not in the OS but just to start it) then someone has set a security password in the BIOS.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You may want to search the internet for the make and model of your motherboard. Often times if there is a password set in the BIOS, there is a way to remove it by shorting a jumper on the motherboard (esp. if it is an older motherboard, etc).

-L

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I emailed the company.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Randy, if you are getting a admin password prompt at the bios level, all you have to do is either short the jumper like lido said or take out the cmos battery, which will also reset the settings in the bios.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reset the bios via the jumper. The problem as it turns out was that somehow the 'puter couldn't boot up via the hard drive and the user passwords were somehow involved. I still had the problem and it was not the bios after all. In the end I am doing a very painful format and re-install.

I will never update bios again!

I will buy new motherboards instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.