AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have ordered a panasonic 50" v10, but am now unsure as the recent black levels seem like a pretty big issue. Anways, my question is if I don't go with Panny, should I try Samsung or LG? For samsung, i was looking at the b860 and b650. For lg, I had not seen anything in particular yet. I looked at LCD also, but the lag (big gamer) and the S.O.E. both worry me. I think the one thing i notice more than anything else is the Soap Opera Effect. Anyways, I am willing to go with either technology (assuming the previous worries can be avoided), I don't wanna have to go too much higher than $1500, and I may even be willing to wait for the next year models.

Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
16,338 Posts
I would definitely wait for the new models (coming out next month). Both Panny and Sammy will be better than the current models (and hopefully the major issues with both brands will be resolved).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18131337

I would definitely wait for the new models (coming out next month). Both Panny and Sammy will be better than the current models (and hopefully the major issues with both brands will be resolved).

Yeah Bill they will be available everywhere in one month. Come on you know how this works.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski /forum/post/18131350

Yeah Bill they will be available everywhere in one month. Come on you know how this works.

How long before you think they are really redily available? Also, how long before their prices normalize? I know how prices start crazy, and would like to avoid that as well

·
Registered
964 Posts
They said the black levels will rise more gradually in the 2010s. I remember seeing it quoted somewhere on here... So no point in waiting if the end result is the same.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnarum23 /forum/post/18131444

They said the black levels will rise more gradually in the 2010s. I remember seeing it quoted somewhere on here... So no point in waiting if the end result is the same.

Yeah...almost makes me wanna go LCD, but that opens up a new can of worms with LAG, and other LCD issues

·
Registered
276 Posts
I watched the price trends for plasma for a couple of years before finally buying. It seems they drop to about their bottom prices in the 3Q. So the 2010 models mean you will wait another ~6-9 months before the prices come down thousands from list...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm...i don't think i am that patient. I have a 32" vizio lcd right now (bout 5 or 6 years old) and i just think its time for something new. the LCD was great at the time, and it had that wow factor at the time. Time for a new wow device though. The v10 really fit that bill, until these major problems. Assuming I will get this black issue, any suggestions for what set to look at? just so much to see, and help narrowing down would be great. Again, i think i am leaning plasma, but i havent shut lcd out.

·
Registered
964 Posts
FWIW, I have a TC-P42X1 and haven't noticed anything that affects my viewing. I game on mine all the time as well. I think if you're not looking for it, you will be ok. But if you're going to be looking for it when you bring it home, then maybe don't get it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i have a pretty bad lcd tv now, and i think almost any plasma would blow it away. Just hope it doesnt get bad enough that i do notice.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18131598

hmm...i don't think i am that patient. I have a 32" vizio lcd right now (bout 5 or 6 years old) and i just think its time for something new. the LCD was great at the time, and it had that wow factor at the time. Time for a new wow device though. The v10 really fit that bill, until these major problems. Assuming I will get this black issue, any suggestions for what set to look at? just so much to see, and help narrowing down would be great. Again, i think i am leaning plasma, but i havent shut lcd out.

I don't post much in the forums but have been a member for 6 years. I use this site whenever I am researching before I buy a TV. I read til my eyes almost bleed. You can read for many hours and in the end you can pick out the good from the ugly but they all are not perfect. Every TV has a minus for something. I went with the Panasonic G50. The picture quality is gorgeous. I wouldn't trade this TV for any other except maybe a Kuro. I can only recommend it and this is one recommendation I have no problem with. You keep reading for many more hours and you'll end up loony like me. Don't worry, the looniness won't have an effect on your eyesight.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Panasonic claims that there is "nothing to fix", but if they would read people's posts on the internet, they would see a bunch of people cancelling their orders, and deciding to go with Samsung instead. Panasonic WILL lose market share because of this, but they are too stubborn to do anything about it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Consider the price of the new sets and the features you want and will use.

It may sway you to get the v10 or wait for something like the g-series from this year. The comparable(24p at more than 48hz, etc) 2010 models might be out of your price range.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright...maybe i stick with the v10...got it for a better price than i've otherwise heard of (below $1,500 because the store didnt have the g10) and if the black issue arises and DOES bother me, I will complain about the overall picture with the panny warranty and hope they take it in for me. thanks guys

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX /forum/post/18131707

I don't post much in the forums but have been a member for 6 years. I use this site whenever I am researching before I buy a TV. I read til my eyes almost bleed.

I am getting that as well...feels like i've been staring at my screen for hours researching all this.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry to triple post, but can i get an opinion from someone who did see a rise in their level? I would like to know what you think about my purchase as you will have seen the worst case scenario, and you will know just how bad it might go. thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I agree with BillP. Time will tell if the 2010 models are "fixed," but I'd much rather take my chances with a '10 than an '09. And at the very least, we know that the initial PQ will be improved -- perhaps pretty significantly on G and V. The TC-P50G25 should be out soon with an MSRP of $1,500 and obviously a lower street price. So you won't have to wait "another ~6-9 months" to get a 50" G25 for a price that looks very attractive compared to V10 pricing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
interesting...If I could get a new 2009 v10 for 1450 or a g25 for probably the same price, what would the suggestion be? I saw the g25 has a listed 2,000,000:1 contrast rate, but that can't be legit..can it? Anyways, I think my choice is now down to sticking with the v10, or switching over to the g25 and waiting for its release. Thoughts on this choice?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
G25 contrast ratio is actually listed as 5M:1, not 2M:1. And no, that's not legit at all. But nevertheless, I'm betting that blacks and true contrast ratio are improved significantly on the 2010 V and G models. In addition to improved PQ, there will be more trivial improvements, like lower energy consumption. There is also the *hope* that the black issue is at least minimized... prolonged... whatever. And since the 50" G25 should be released soon, I personally wouldn't consider buying a 50" V10 right now.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.