AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does it cost to fix? I assume that means replacing the tube(s)? And is there any way to get the manufacturer to pay for it? :)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The only way to fix it is to reduce raster size if you can get the video image out of the affected area - Possible with FP, not possible I don't think with RP...

The cost depends on the brand of the unit, coupled with the price of second-hand parts - plus tech-time to swap 'em out... Basically expensive, especially if you want new tubes...

If you read the manufacturers warrenty / user guide they almost always have a section in there warning you not to use the unit for computers, video games etc - and that it is not covered by warrenty unless under extreme circumstances.

I don't watch much TV - but I curse like the devil when I see a station logo in the corner of the screen that is not transparent, I won't watch those channels and remove the from my subscription if I can - not a major problem though as I think I have racked up less than 20 hours of TV this year - the flip side of that is I have racked up over 400 hours of movie watching :) But they don't hurt my PJ they make it happy :)

Movies good :) Television bad :mad:

-Rick

·
Registered
876 Posts
There is no possible way to get the image out of the affected area. The affected area is the area that has been used! You can reduce the raster area (possibly) to vied ONLY within the burned area. This will not change the fact that your color purity and greyscale have left and will not return.

I know of no manufacturer who will replace burned CRTs gratis. It is generally considered to fall under misuse and abuse. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
More info is required... FPTV, RPTV, model, etc.

It is possible to equalize the wear on CRT's, if you can feed an image from a PC that only exercises the area of the CRT(s) that are not as worn as the other areas.

This is not a substitute for CRT replacement and is a whole lot cheaper for cases where the differences are not great.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
It should be noted that CRT burn in is not covered by any manufacturers warranty. It is not covered because it is caused by pushing the projector beyond its recommended range of use. You are free to run a projector too hard, but its not free to fix it afterward. If you want a brighter image, get a brighter projector and a blacker room and a brighter screen. Don't run your projector too hard and you won't have to worry about wrecking it. You will know, without a doublt if you are running it too hard. Use Avia or VE and check out the blooming boxes. If you have ANY blooming, you are running it too hard. If you can't get a bright enough image without blooming, you should change other, cheaper things to achieve a brighter image(black room, bright screen, smaller screen, brighter projector). Just my 2 cents(with the exchange, I owe you money!).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, sorry. RPTV. Not positive about the model. Brand probably Toshiba. 16:9 HDTV. Size 40-50".

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
To reach the best possible result, you've to replace the tubes...

I don't know if your tubes are really so burned to deserve a replacemente, but if it is so, there are no other ways, in order to regain a perfect image.

It's quite expensive, anyway.

Romano

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh i don't even have my RPTV yet - this is just out of curiosity. Roughly how much would that cost?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.