AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have 4:3 pj, and 4:3(pc,video game)vs16:9(hdtv,dvd) source is 50:50.

* 4:3 pj with 4:3 screen

1.4:3 source full spec

2.16:9 source 75% spec

* 4:3 pj with 16:9 screen

1.4:3 source 50% spec

2.16:9 source 75% spec

And I don't have ISCO lens.

4:3 screen is way to go?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Very useful info to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For you it sounds like 4:3 would be best because your 4:3 sources are high quality. For someone like me (with a 4:3 projector) whose 4:3 source if cable TV and whose 16:9 sources are DVD, XBox, and HDTV maybe 16:9 is better. Especially with a projector with a 4:3S mode which puts the 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen with black bars. That way may highest quality sources (and the ones I want to give the most dramatic effect) are always bigger and my poor source is made smaller which helps disguise its weaknesses. In addition when I buy a new projector down the road it will most likely be 16:9 and I can keep the cscreen.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Over 90 (closer to 100) percent of our watching is primetime TV, 3-4 hrs a night so for us 4:3 made most sense. And review of the referenced artical (a few months ago) just firmed up what I thought all along.

We have digital cable and DSS (as well as DVD and SVHS) so sources are not the greatest. Nice thing about Hitachi 5500 is that it can show a reduced size picture so poor sources don't look so bad.

To figure reduced size, take the full 4:3 image and crop the top and bottom to 16:9. Now, crop the sides of the 16:9 down to a 4:3 image. That's the size of the reduced image.

Another nice thing about Hitachi is that when you display in 16:9 or reduced 4:3, you can place the image at the top, center, or bottom of the screen. This has two benefits. First, your not looking up so much from your seat when your head is near the bottom of the screen (as in our case), and second, it can aid in situations where you would want to mask a portion of the screen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Unless your projector has 1:1.3 zoom your 4:3 images will shoot over the top of the 16:9 screen.....make sure....

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.